iBook ENGULFED IN FLAMES!!! literally!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by poppe, May 23, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Here in dallas I was watching Channel 11 news. They began a teaser with a white laptop in flames. Surely it can not be our beloved Apple!?!

Infact it was an iBook... What model or version it was was not released. Many other laptops were shown from Dell and IBM but since the stories source was from a 12 year old whose Apple was engulfed with flames after he wandered from it.

They said "42" laptops have started on fire. They began to name reports of an apartment building burining down because of a laptop, a girls dorm burned, a woman receiving burns from her laptop.

The news went on to explain that many experts are saying that the batteries are the cause for these such fires. The manufactures like Dell, Apple, and IBM have there equipment made in China where standards are a little less...

The News finished with the model iBook in this story was not on Apple's recal list, yet.

This is a ridiculously scary thought. A laptop starting on fire. Now I know there are some people laughing out there that that is what they get for leaving their scorching hot laptop on a goosedown blanket on the bed or as in the case with the kid in the iBook he left his on his carpet, but that is crazy.

Of all the things i'm definitely scared now about the thermal paste issues. I know that isn't really to do with the battery but still. The MBP's are ovens. Can I really afford to drop 4 grand on a laptop that is also hot enough to broil my food? Please do not think i"m thinking of Apple alone. Oh no no no. I'm thinking of all those high end laptops that I was going to be doing heavy work on.

Is it really safe to leave my Laptop on my dorm desk or must I buy an I curve and set some fans around it just so I can come home to dorm with out a charcoal touch to it?

(sorry for spelling errors. Really bad at spelling and was in a hurry to get this out before anyone else)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A lot of Lithium-ion battery fires, quite a few are in the cellphones and products that use universal batteries -- because these can be replaced using inferior counterfeit versions.

You have to watch the Lithium-ion batteries because they can become dangerous when damaged -- drop a cellphone, and the battery can burn quite hot.

Even name-brand batteries have had bad runs.

It's not just the batteries, because the power bricks can also go bad.

---

Sort of have to wonder about someone who takes a camera and has time to film a laptop burning. :rolleyes:

Either makes me think of staged incident, or an idiot that reaches for a camera instead of a fire extinguisher.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ah HAHAHAHAHA that is hilarious. Well they took it outside somehow? and set it on their side walk. The whole corner by the trackbad was black and began to roll as the plastic metlted

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

They didn't mention if the batteries were damaged so I do not know if that was the case.

I must also note that the reporter got the story from her nephew, her 12 year old nephew. He was the one with the iBook. So if you saw the story it was sad because while dell and Ibm were both mentioned. All the transitions had fades of "iBook" logos and white computers. Only once twice did I see another black laptop (PC) in the whole segment...

5. remowilliams macrumors member

No notebook (yes even Apple) is going to catch fire from the insanely popular "thermal paste" thread topic fodder or internal cooling issues.

Batteries are another story - there's a huge amount of power in modern batteries, and in the worst of circumstances, failure can be truly catastrophic :eek: ;)

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

So is it not possible at all the thermal paste could cause it? or what about the thermal paste problem increasing the chances for a malfunction in the battery?

If not Hooray: Back to waiting for the merom!! (acctaully even if MBP's were known to start fire like a fiero, I would still buy one)

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Not saying that laptops don't catch fire, but I've learned to take what you see on the news with a grain of salt. I remember a month or so ago they ran with the "Dangers of Ambien!" story, failing to mention that all the cases they reported on also involved alcohol, which is a no-no anyway.

F
    U
    D

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've had a Powerbook power adapter overheat and melt before, but nothing so extreme as to cause a fire.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh yeah the news is about as reliable as the inquirer (spelling?) anymore. I've never even heard of a laptop melting or burning.

What happened when your powerbook was melted? did it get replaced?

10. nagusjim macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me. wow did it get hot. and what a horrible smell!!! yuck. they sent me a new one, after an hour long legalstuff interview... Was there any smoke? did sparks come into contact with any of your belongings? did the hot part of the adapter touch your furniture leaving any marks? how long did you smell it before unplugging it? are you feeling okay now? it was an interesting conversation.

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Insane...

12. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Jeez, no, I was out of luck since I had bought it on eBay to replace the original Powerbook one I had that I broke. It still worked, I would just unplug it every hour or so. Ended up breaking it too, though, so it didn't matter much. It was one of the two-prong, ungrounded kind, and the new three-prong one I have is much nicer and cooler even though it's 65W versus 45W on the old one.

13. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I can't understand why Apple are having such issues with their notebooks! Asus dont have this kind of problem. I'm giving Apple until Sept/Oct to sort this problem and if it's not i'll buy one of the Asus models.

I agree, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on a mobile oven!

14. mpw Guest

Wasn't katie ta achoo was it?

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yeah, she got blisters I think on her thighs... another male MR member also had burns on his thighs. Both of them received no service or real acknowledgment from Apple.

16. mpw Guest

Who cares.
    Yes, it was the pictures of katies thighs that stuck in my mind.
    Well I offered to service both, even the one without the burn.

17. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Is that what was in the iBook and MB or does the iBook support and old battery type?

18. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

Here is a link to the article, pictures and all. It looks very staged. The news now just tries to push the must BS stories to get viewers/ratings. Its all a game, all about money. :eek:

19. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

OMG, That was definately staged!!!!111!!11

[​IMG]

The laptop is PLUGGED IN!! The Last thing I would think about is to take my burning laptop outside, PLUG IT IN, and watch it catch on fire!

Fake...

20. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Apple uses lithium-polymer for batteries in all intel macs (laptops). BTW, it's sad to see a beauty burn, before MacBook, 12" iB was my favorite mac:(

21. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I agree with you but just to play the devils advocate. They could have very well heard it begin to melt and unplugged it from the wall not the socket of the iBook ran out where it began to burn.

Like i said devils advocate thats all.

22. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

Actually, in the above linked article, it says that there are only 43 reported incidents in two years. I can see how you can miss a few here and there, but to miss 180,000 incidents a year seems farse.

23. mpw Guest

Not saying it didn't catch fire, but why wouldn't you unplug your laptop from the power supply if you were rushing it outside? Staged.

24. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yeah totally my bad!! I just fixed it if you look back up

25. Thidranki macrumors member

Thidranki

To advocate the devil's advocate, which is easier? Dragging a [heavy] power adapter (which is probably very hot) or just yanking it out? It would probably fall out anyways in transport.

Also, does the computer run off the battery as much when its plugged in? I dont know about that.