iBook 'Enter' key acting strangely

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Jan 12, 2003.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

The Enter key on my IceBook suddenly is acting very strangely. The bottom-left corner of the key doesn't want to make contact and feels very stiff. It's as if the key has gotten slightly popped off its contact thing-y, but I have no idea how to pop it back into place; gentle pushing, pulling, and lifting from various directions doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do to fix it?

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Were you eating with this?

Something might be jamed under it.

Also shut off your comp and try pressing it down.

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

ugh, yeah, i eat over my keyboard all the time. what's the best way to clean out all those nooks and crannies?

4. dprlynch macrumors newbie

I had an issue with my Enter key as well on my Snow iBook - it kept popping off. I had to send it in to AppleCare for a different issue, and asked them to fix that as well.

It's on it's way back, so I'll see how that went.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm not terribly familiar with the keyboards on new portables. Best way to clean, without taking off the keys (i don't know how easy or hard this is) is compressed air, use the little straw dealie.

If it's just one corner, it's probably something jammed. If it's an entire side of the key, it could be a jam or the part that holds the key on could be bent (i think). try using the compressed air, it should do the trick in this case..

pnw

6. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Oh, do let me know. Turns out my iBook needs to be sent in to have the power circuitry replaced (long, frustrating story). I'm going to back everything up to my brand-spankin' new FW drive tonight and try the compressed air for the key (thanks, Paul!), but if it doesn't work I'll ask if they'll fix the key when it's in TX as well.