ibook ETA: 22 hours!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemonkey, Mar 10, 2004.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

Just bought an ibook from a dude on Ebay. This is my first personal Mac after using them at work & school for the last 4 years or so. Can't freakin' wait!!

ibook G4 800mhz
    256 RAM
    Airport Extreme
    30 GB HD
    3 days old
    $1049

Now, what do I need to buy to go with it? Probably $100 or so left in my computer buying budget. It'll be used to do some design work and what not.
    The Ram upgrade is obvious, so I was thinking of something a little more creative than that. Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Jason
    <><

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you only have about $100 left in your budget, then 512 MB stick will eat most of that...

i'd get a USB mouse and a case/sleeve with the money left over.

3. bluemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about toys such as Wacom's Graphire tablet or some other neat gadget. The ram, mouse and carrying case are a seperate issue. The $100 is kind of my overestimation of the cost of this machine.

I know there are a few gadget fiends on these boards. Can you help me out?

-Jason
    <><

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Powermate

Have you checked out the Powermate? Looks cool, wish I had one. (don't know if I would pay $50 for it though)

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

Griffin has a few other cool things too. Also I made sure to have pick up the JBL Creature Speakers when I got my PB. They are pretty darn cool.

iSight perhaps?

Or you could save it towards an iPod, which would be a great way to go.

5. fussball macrumors regular

With only a 30 GB drive, I would say get an external HD. I burned through my 30 gig really quickly, and I am eating away at my 80 gig ext. at about the same rate. I picked mine up for $100 (80 gig 7200RPM FW400 Fantom Drives External)

Other ideas- mouse, speakers (necessity if you listen to any music at all), car charger (could be cool) international plug kit (from apple.com) if you travel, also, get something to protect the screen when it's closed (keyboard marks really suck)

I think the 3 things I couldn't live without on mine are 17" LCD, external keyboard and mouse (but the keyboard isn't needed w/o the display and the display kinda pushes past your 100 limit :p )