iBook external display problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by janey, Feb 28, 2003.

1. janey macrumors 603

janey

My iBook (800mhz G3, 128mb RAM [i know i know!!!], the late 2001 model) after installing 10.2.4 build 6I32 and after using external TVs and monitors, now thinks that there is a VGA display and a color LCD connected to the iBook when in reality there is no external monitor.
    Did anyone else have this problem and is there a fix for it?
    I already tried everything everyone told me to do from the hardware test to fsck. The next thing I was going to do is to call Applecare tomorrow morning but since I have homework and other important stuff on it and target disk mode doesn't work either I was hoping someone would know how to fix it.

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Try taking your monitor adapter, insert it, and pull it back out....see what happens...if it works, it works....if it doesn't, I suggest you call up apple.....

as for info in it....get a friend to loan you a monitor and type/process at that point.

good luck:cool:

3. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

I'm using an external monitor now and I tried pulling it out...everything works now but iBook still thinks there are two monitors connected.
    Wait it just did it again...:mad:
    Will call Apple tomorrow.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I guess you've probably clicked Detect Displays enough...

Have you done the monitor spanning hack, or tried fixing permissions (the all-purpose OS X elixir)?

If you haven't already, you could try running the iBook with all possible display combinations. VGA monitor with lid closed, VGA & LCD, TV with lid closed, TV & LCD, and whatever else is possible, rebooting and/or banging on Detect Displays between or during each combination.

5. janey thread starter macrumors 603

janey

Every single thing I could possibly think of...thanx for your advice though...