iBook external monitor question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skippydumptruck, Aug 7, 2006.

1. skippydumptruck macrumors newbie

I have a G4 iBook 1.33GHz with 1.5GB of RAM. I would like to output the display onto an external Gateway LCD monitor and was wondering how I might go about this. Additionally, I know a few months ago there was discussion about using a firmware hack to have an iBook display externally while closed, and there was some concern that this would cause the iBook to overheat. Is this still the case?

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

To display onto an external monitor, you need to get the Apple mini-VGA-to-VGA adapter, then you can just connect the monitor as normal. (Can't get DVI output from an iBook, sorry.) For screen spanning, there is a tool called Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html)

Pretty sure you don't need a firmware hack to display with the lid closed, just close the lid and plug in a USB keyboard/mouse. This is supported by Apple and the iBook has a cool-running G3 - I wouldn't worry about it unless room temperature is 100 degrees F. I have done the lid closed thing with a MUCH hotter TiBook with no problems.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Your first bit is correct but this bit is absolute bollocks. The iBook runs a reasonably warm to hot G4 and running it in closed-lid mode is not recommended, even by the bravest of us. Closed-lid mode in an iBook is most certainly not supported by Apple and you should not be spreading false information by saying that it is. Even using an external display in anything other than mirrored mode isn't supported by Apple.

The iBook dissipates much of its heat through the keyboard, putting a cover on that would result in catastrophic failure of at least the LCD screen if not the iBook itself due to the build up of heat. The TiBook and PowerBook G4, as well as the MacBook Pro and MacBook are designed to funnel heat out through side-mounted vents rather than up through the keyboard, this is why you have no problems running a TiBook with the lid closed.

4. skippydumptruck thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so closed screen is still a no-no.

What is the difference between "spanning" and "mirroring"?

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

"Mirroring" just mirrors your ibook's screen onto an external display. You gain no extra pixel space.

"Spanning" will give you another desktop space on the external display that you can move windows into. It gives you more space to display the apps you have open side-by-side.

6. icec0ld macrumors member

i use the monitor spanning and it works flawlessly.

7. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

You're right, I don't know why I said G3. I was thinking of the old G3 iBooks from back around the time I bought my TiBook. I should stop taking steroids, they're making me stupid. :(

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They shrink your bollocks too. No worries mate, I was wondering if we had hit a time warp and suddenly the TiBooks were new. That would be sweet, my G4 iBook would be something to behold if it were true.:D