Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I have one of the new iBook G4s, and I was wondering when the fan turns on. I have watched DVDs, played full screen games, and everything. It gets pretty warm, but not really hot, and I have NEVER felt any air coming out of the back vent. Maybe it's on but on a very low speed so I can't feel or hear it. Does anyone know at what temperature the iBook's fan starts to rev up to where you can easily feel and hear it? Is there any program I can use to test the fan?

Thanks,
Joe

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
CoMpX said:
I have one of the new iBook G4s, and I was wondering when the fan turns on. I have watched DVDs, played full screen games, and everything. It gets pretty warm, but not really hot, and I have NEVER felt any air coming out of the back vent. Maybe it's on but on a very low speed so I can't feel or hear it. Does anyone know at what temperature the iBook's fan starts to rev up to where you can easily feel and hear it? Is there any program I can use to test the fan?

Thanks,
Joe

I've had my ibook for a couple of weeks now and only two days ago finally actually heard my fan. I had been playing World of Warcraft for about a hour or so and heard it shoot on. It was sitting on my lap and pretty hot also mind you.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
It takes quite a bit for the iBook fans to kick in i found that when doing some CD or DVD ripping they would kick in, also sometimes they will randomly spin up, dont pay too much attention to it,

ShadOW

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Thanks for this thread, it makes me very excited for when my iBook arrives!!! :D

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Mine go when im burning a cd/dvd, when I have it on something soft, like a bed cover, and the fans are being blocked.. :p etc. :D

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Yeah I've yet to hear my fans too.. but hey, it's not like I'd like to hear them or anything.. and plus my iBook never even gets that* hot so I'm not complaining! :)

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
I had my iBook for a while before I noticed the fan... up to that point, I thought it was convection cooled. :rolleyes:

mersea

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2005
Huh.. I hear mine (or what I think is a fan) quite frequently. When I'm playing the Sims or other, not very intensive games..

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
XIII said:
Mine go when im burning a cd/dvd, when I have it on something soft, like a bed cover, and the fans are being blocked.. :p etc. :D

That sound isnt your fans, its the disc drive burning the disc that makes the sound.......The fan is far far quieter than a CD being burnt,

SHadoW

Hobbit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2005
I have the latest iBook 12"...it's not uncommon for the fans to kick off after intensive use. I noticed the fans start spinning loudly when cpu temperature reaches 60 degrees celius.

There is a widget that tells you cpu temperature (i think it's called icpuheat). My cpu temperature is around 50 degreas most of the time. anyone knows what the maximum temp. for the cpu? i.e do i need to the computer a break if temp reaches say 65 degrees?

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
shadowmoses said:
That sound isnt your fans, its the disc drive burning the disc that makes the sound.......The fan is far far quieter than a CD being burnt,

SHadoW

Its definately fans aswell. I can feel the cool air coming out, and hear them whirring, seperately from the CD drive spinning.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The last time I heard the fans come on on mine was um, ooh, um.....maybe after installing Tiger back in early May when it was indexing and I was putting everything back on. Since then, oh hang on, they came on when i was using Handbrake to rip Arrested Development to H.264 - don't bother, it takes ages...

But under usual use I rarely see temps over 50? maybe 55? if I''ve got a lot of stuff going, extra RAM might've helped too, it sure has made it run better.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I've been sitting at a desk playing music (through external speakers) and surfing the web on a new 12" ibook. The left palm rest got pretty hot; now the fan is on (I had to turn off the music to hear it). The CPU heat widget says 55C (that's 131 F). This is kind of bumming me out-- its not like I'm doing anything intensive. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.