iBook firewire troubles... :(

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by slooksterPSV, Nov 7, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok you guys know my iBook its about 10 - 14 days old. I have 3 years of AppleCare and what not, but I'm having a problem. I have a Dual Firewire/USB 2.0 Enclosure, and in it I have a Maxtor 30GB HDD. I tried to connect the Firewire up to my iBook and it will mount the volume, but if I try to copy or create anything on the volume Finder gets the spinning wheel of death. I'm not sure if its the Firewire cable, firewire drive (ADS Technology FW Ports), the volume (Maxtor), or if its my iBook's firewire port.

What should I do? Take it to CompUSA and get it replaced? Just use USB and don't use FW? Call up Apple after running Apple Hardware Test? Or what?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

try using a different firewire device first. Do you know somebody who has a firewire drive that you could connect to your ibook to see whether or not it works...that'll give you a some idea as to whether it's a problem with your own drive or whether it's the ibook

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Now I think its the Maxtor drive, I connected it up to another iBook in Target disk mode and my iBook mounted it, copied stuff to it just fine!