Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Adding ram is very easy, all you will need is a tiny phillips screwdriver. It should take you 10 minutes at the most.

You will have a great time with your new machine. Here's a good site to go to for all your TeX needs on the Mac: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Have Fun!

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Many thanks for the replies.

Another question I had in mind but forgot to ask was regarding the Apple warranty: does it cover, say, accidental damage? Because I have not yet gone for the three year option and was wondering whether it was worth it in case I dropped the machine.

Meanwhile, still waiting for the machine: doubtless it is somewhere between the Netherlands and Oxford.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
Screen Size

As a graduate student, I understand how much time gets spent in front of the computer. Using a 12 inch screen for over a couple hours is enough for almost anyone to get moderate to severe eye strain. I highly suggest you invest a bit more money to purchase a 15" screen at the very least. Contrarily, you could buy an external LCD screen for a 12", however it usually costs more and it takes up more space.

Eomando

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
UK
I just had to throw in my bit here :)

I've had my 12" powerbook for about 3 weeks now, and I absolutely love it to bits... and I got it for the same purpose as you, a DPhil at Ox. I thought you might like to know that I have *no* doubts whatsoever at it coping with whatever is thrown at me.. it's a beautiful machine :D

Have fun with it when you get it, and get a nice bag to put it in, just so it doesn't come across any unfortunate accidents if you carry it about Oxford/London one day (I went for a Wee Bee from Crumpler, about £50 in the UK).. and also, just so you know, Crucial sell ram in the UK too.. i got myself an extra 256 for about £30 including postage. I didn't see *too* much point in getting a 512 chip though.. i'm probably going to get a gig stick eventually, and I'd so hate to throw all that ram away.. ;)

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Wow, just gave me an idea--I may have to get VirtualPC just so I can run Total Annihilation! That game ruled...my brother and I (when we were living together) used to stay up until all hours of the night blasting each other.

iBook rocks--pBook is just too expensive (until they put the G5 in...that will justify the price difference).

Though, I would take the advice from above: theoretical = pbook, experimental = ibook.

Have fun!

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
I was indeed thinking of playing only old classics on the pbook. Syndicate Wars, Total Annihilation, etc. Nothing new and heavy on the GPU.

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
tamara6 said:
Adding ram is very easy, all you will need is a tiny phillips screwdriver. It should take you 10 minutes at the most.

You will have a great time with your new machine. Here's a good site to go to for all your TeX needs on the Mac: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Have Fun!

Thanks for the TeX link: very handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.