Ibook for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sameuljr, Jan 17, 2004.

1. sameuljr macrumors newbie

I am currently using my pc for all my college work and was looking to change to an apple I-book. I was wondering if any one could answer a few questions for me.

1) Is it better to save up and get Microsoft office for Mac or will apple works be compatible with all my Microsoft documents? And how comparable is it in relation to office 2000?
    2) What is the battery life like when just word processing? I have heard lots of high figures like 7 hours but from past experiences I know that manufactures estimates rarely hold true.
    3) If I buy an apple airport card will it be compatible with normal wifi networks?

Thanks very much

2. biscool macrumors member

1. AW is really outdated, but it's free. I'd get the student/teacher edition of MS Office for $150.
    2. My new ibook has fantastic battery life, although I have no hard numbers. Do not expect 7 hours, more like 5+ if all you're doing is word, etc. Turn airport, bt, etc off and dim the screen, that will increase your battery life.
    3. Airport Extreme works with all 802.11B and 802.11G routers, you'll have no problems.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Honestly, battery life doesn't matter all THAT much. How often are you somewhere where there are NO electrical outlets?? Yes, it's nice not to have to plug in, but if you're in your dorm room, or the library, just plug in and don't worry about it.

otherwise...4 hours.

4. five04 macrumors member

i'm a college student and use my ibook g4 everyday. it's an inexpensive solution that will be much better than a pc laptop.

5. niter macrumors 6502

Re: Ibook for college

You will need Office X. Period. However, you are in a good spot. If you purchase Office X now, you get a coupon for a free upgrade to the new Office coming out in the Spring.

I have the 12" iBook G4 and the the battery lasts for a crazy amount of time. It is between 4-6 hours.

It should. I have no problems, and I have not heard of any problems.

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

Some schools have deals set up with Microsoft to get better prices on some software... maybe your school does too. For example, students at my university get Office for $80. I've heard that other schools that sell it for as low as $20. Check with your university bookstore.

7. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

University of Texas at Austin (Hook 'em) has MS Office v. X for $7 at the Campus Computer Store. That's actually less expensive than the Windows version, which is an outrageous $12 or something like that!

therevolution is absolutely right...be sure to check with your college before spending $150.

8. niter macrumors 6502

I forgot to add that in, too. My college gave me a deal on Office X. It was $70.