iBook for design works

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phantommaul, Oct 30, 2003.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

my question is simple, i am planning to buy a iBook G4 but i have some concerns about the resolution (1024x768).

do you thing it is enough for macromedia and abobe programs. because the new installments uses a lot of area for toolbars and i dont want to continuously swich on and of the toolbars.

does anyone have any experience working with 1024 x 768 on ibook designing with macro and adobe.

i have also some concerns about final cut express and pro software. do you thing the resolution will be enough.

and finally i know both models have the same max resolution. so does it make any difference to buy the 14" one. i have money issues so please send the answers price wise.

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I have problems using dreamweaver and photoshop at 1280x1024, so it would probably be a challenge to run it on 1024x768, but not impossible.

I still always feel like I could use 1600x1200.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been using 1024x768 for years with Adobe tools and programming tools and haven't really had a problem.

I just started using Studio MX 2004 a week or so ago and it seems to want slightly more room. It's still manageable, but just.

4. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

so do u recommend the purchase

hmmm, as a result, with some adjustments i could use 1024 768 14" efficently.?!

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

You sound like a power user, so i would recomend against the iBook and would lean towards a 15" power book.

Just a thought.

6. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

i dont have enough money :(

so do u say instead of buying a ibook g4 it is logical to wait and collect more money for a powerbook, but new models will arrive and it will start the waiting loop which i hate much.

7. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I had considered an ibook with the release of the g4 ibook, but I know i'd never be happy doing design work on that resolution.

I have a 19inch lcd at work(attached to a g5) running 1280x1024 and a rev A tibook (ordering 15 albook). So it would be a serious downgrade for me to go to 1024 by 768.

With the 14inch ibook it seems they could have easily supported 1280x1024 but that seems to be the dividing line right now in Pro vs. Consumer.

Anyway, if you are serious about your design work, you'll want the extra real estate i think.

8. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

what to do

hmmm things get messy here, :( i need a g4 i know that because i am a PC user and i am dreaming of swiching for about 5 years or maybe more. i make design including web and print on a pc and i know the performance is superior on macs. and i also think of doing video later. i tried everything (every software) for PC but nothing comes even near final cut pro. thats why i need a mac.

but the less it costs, happier my family becomes :) i have started to go with the PB 15 but when apple announced the G4 ibook the price dropped over 600 $ and thats a huge saving for me. i dont want to spend that extra 600-700 $ just for more resolution.

i know there are lots of extras too but i am not interested in integrated Bluetooth, i will add it BTO. and i am not interested in audio in firewire 800 and other stuff.

so is it that imposibble to work on 1024 ??

9. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Re: what to do

Its not just resolution. The tibook uses faster Ram, probably has better memory bandwidth, has a better graphics card with more vram, and is capable of holding more ram than the ibook. If you want to do video editing you will soon care about firewire 800 and the better resolution.