ibook for photoshop, imageready and dreamweaver???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oriol, Feb 9, 2005.

1. oriol macrumors member

oriol

HEY! :)

will an ibook have a good performance with photoshop, imageready and dreamweaver?

or i have to get a powerbook to get good performance?

2. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

a new ibook will have plenty of bang for photoshopping and dreamweaver. make sure you get 512 Mb of ram. I think the ibbok is a better deal then powerbooks at this time.

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Not that good but it will work.

The PowerBook will be much faster/better.

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I forgot to add, dont get anything less then 512MB RAM, 265 is just to low.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, of course PB will work faster. but i have an old PB, 867 MHz G4. two years old. runs photoshop and dreamweaver just fine...

is it slower than the fastest PB out there? of course. is it so slow that it's nearly unusable? definitely not.

i think iBook will handle them just fine.

but i agree with you on the RAM. get at least 512 MB.

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I have an iBook that's about a year old (G4 800), and I run PhotoShop with no complaints. The key (as always) is to absolutely max out your RAM; increasing RAM has a more noticeable effect on performance than increasing processor speed. However, if you're buying your iBook from Apple and you're comfortable installing RAM on your own, buy it with the minimum and then buy the rest from Crucial or Data Memory Systems to save yourself a $$bundle$$. I have 1.12 GB of RAM, and PS opens in one bounce. Unless you are a hardcore graphics professional, an iBook will do you just fine!

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have a 1 GHz iBook G4 14" 640 Mb RAM and I use Photoshop on it all the time. It's just fine- I wouldn't worry about it at all. I don't notice much
    difference between it and my desktop, which is 1GHz G4 with 1.5 Gb RAM and a 7200 hard drive. There is a difference, but not enough to matter much to me.

8. carlos700 macrumors regular

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004, Adobe InDesign 2.0.2, and Adobe Photoshop 7.0 on my 1.2 GHz iBook G4, and they all run fine.

I do agree with getting at least 512MB of Memory, 1GB would be great.

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Both will do it. The PowerBook will probably do it better; the iBook will do it cheaper. No one can argue that the iBook has better specs, or that the PB is less expensive. If you want/need/can afford the extra speed and features of the PB, it is the better option ... but it may not be the better deal. That's up to you.

10. Bangpow macrumors member

How is the Data Memory Systems RAM?? It seems to be a bit cheaper than everywhree else and i wonder why.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The main difference is screen real estate. If you're not working with huge images, it's not much of a problem, but Photoshop can be annoying as the palettes confine your image to a fairly small portion of the screen.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I couldn't agree more. I bought the 14" iBook because of that fact and i'm glad I did :D Plus I now have extra $$$ for a 20" iMac this summer.

13. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

ibook is fine for photoshop

I use photoshop for editing all the time with my g4 ibook and I have 640MB RAM. It's fine. I think I might step up to 1GB of RAM soon but I don't think you need a PB to do it. I will admit though, with how sexy those damn PBs are they are hard to resist.

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

It will do the job just dandy. :)

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you do know that 14" iBook has the same sized screen, in terms of the resolution, as the 12", right? each pixel is bigger so the screen is bigger, but the number of pixels is the same as the 12".

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Doesn't make a difference if the users has bad vision, in fact some people like it that way. :)

I would prefer HD resolution on notebook screens. ;) :)

17. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

i'm considering the 12" ibook for uni work and photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, cubase, reason and other music apps..

i've watched my work collegues run all i want to run on their 800mhz 640 ram (they've even run pro tools on it) and it runs just fine.. stuff like photoshop is going to run, but just a bit slower than a dual g5 :D, but its certainly acceptable for me. i only edit 4mpix pictures (not raw), and the occasional vector design, so i really cant justify the expense of a 12" pb.

for the price of a 12" pb, i can get an ibook, 1gb crucial, bt upgrade, tucano second skin, a case of beer and a pack of smokes :eek:

18. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you're going to do a LOT of PS work, then I imagine you wouldn't be doing it solely on your iBook/PB screen. The iBook can do monitor spanning with a free little hack, but only at 1024 x 768. The PB can do higher resolutions on an external monitor. That might work very nicely for Photoshop (not sure what max resolution is...)

Amazon.com is selling the Rev C 12" PB for $1200 after rebate, not a bad deal. Oops, I guess they sold out (just checked.) Well, Apple might have some good refurb deals too.

As others have said, make sure you budget for a good-sized RAM upgrade whichever model you go with.

19. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you read wordmonger's post, you'll see that he was referring to the difficulty in working with large images using 12" screens. in that sense, 14" screen with the same resolution will not help at all.

i was not saying 14" display with larger pixels has no benefit. like you said, if you have bad vision, yes, it helps. but the poster who replied to wordmonger's post with his experience on the 14" iBook missed the point because 12" or 14", images will take up the same portion of the screen if they both have the same resolution.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- they take up the same portion, but at least you can see image! :) I have bad eyes too-and believe me, my 14" iBook is MUCH preferable to a 12".

21. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Actually, no, you can't, not with US prices at least. At edu pricing, the base PB is 1399. The iBook with 60 GB HD and BT is 1061. That's $338 difference, and 1GB of Crucial for the iBook is showing as $336 for me. $2 might buy a couple beers, but not a case, any smokes, or the Tucano. (your post was probably in jest, I'm just being a dork, sorry) And though you'll have more RAM, you'll have less processor speed, slower HD, half the VRAM, etc. etc. as has been said before.

22. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

No I got the point but left out the fact that I was coming from a 17" screen so that the 14" iBook felt better on my eyes and yes I agree about the screen res. I can't and won't disagree with that ;)

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

An iBook should do Photoshop, ImageReady and Dreamweaver just fine. My girlfriend is a webdesigner and use those daily on my old Pismo, a G3@400MHz with 512MB RAM (used to have 320 MB, but we upgraded not too long ago).

Just buy the 12" with 256 MB RAM and as large HD you can afford, and get a 512 MB RAM stick from elsewhere (there has been enough threads here about that), and you'll have a super little portable webdesigning workhorse. You defenately don't need a G5 or even the 33 MHz extra bus speed of the Powerbooks for your needs... (yes, I do know there are other advanteges with both... :rolleyes:)

Get TextWrangler (it's free, and it doesn't suck®, either, unless you want to spend $199 on the big brother: BBEdit) for simple text editing (it's not always necessary to open Dreamweaver... ;))