ibook for transcontinental flight

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Invizzible, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm flying from Los Angeles to Norway in June, and am considering buying an ibook for the trip, to maintain my sanity on the long flight. I'm wondering about powering the ibook for that long (probably about 15 hours total flying time). Obviously, one battery won't do it, and extra batteries are expensive. The sales guy at Best Buy told me most planes now supply power to each seat via a small socket that you can plug a special adapter into (available at Best Buy, of course, for $130). I've flown before but never looked for such an outlet and never used one. My question is, do all major airlines have this feature [I'm flying Continental]? I'd hate to count on it, get on the plane with no spare batteries, and then find out when it's too late that there's no power supplied to my seat.
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I would call the airline and ask if your plane will or not, when the time gets closer. Many of the newer planes do have these plugs, but many planes still in service do not. So it might pay to ask. Some airlines may not be able to tell you this info until you get there, but my brother flies Continental all the time and they are very helpful when he asks quesitons like this, so I would give them a call.
  3. Borg3of5 macrumors member

Nov 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    yeah, most flights ive been on have them on the planes, but not EVERY seat. the link Borg3of5 provided describes the avalibility of continental, wich seems about right, some random set up. the seats are usually marked with a little electric lightning bolt looking symbol by the seat number. im sure you can switch with someone if your seat does not have that.

the best thing for long flights though. . . id invest in a pair of bose noise canceling headphones. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6mL0BohHdQ25LwSAQB3VZIQSs/ i used these on a flight to london once and i did not hear the flight attendent standing right next to me.
  5. Mehmet macrumors member

Jun 21, 2003

No highs, no lows, must be bose!!

I HIGHLY recommend that you DON'T get those bose headphones, or any bose product for that matter..

Read any one of these and you will see why.

Popularity does not equal quality.. we all know this with winblows.

To get back on topic

That thing is pretty kick ass, you can also get cell phone adaptors i think, so you can use it as pretty much a universal adaptor for everything.
  6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world

Is it possible to charge to iPod with this adaptor as well ? I am looking for a car adaptor to charge both iBook and iPod. Any idea ?

Thanks and Cheers
  7. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2003
    Berkeley, CA

just plug the ipod into the ibook, which would be plugged into the car.
  8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    That simple ! Wow thats great. Thanks.
  9. frank5050 macrumors member

Nov 11, 2003
    way out west
    From the Continental website:

[/QUOTE]Passengers may not charge batteries while aboard Continental aircraft. Please remove all rechargeable batteries when using the power port.
  10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Dude, we were laughing at you the whole flight. She was trying to tell you your fly was open. :D
  11. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    you are buying an ibook just for the flight!!! heck...buy a plane that lets you charge ur ibook...simple :D
  12. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Flying Continental you'll need it. Worst inflight entertainment I've ever had to suffer through. Assume you're connecting in London? Then keep your fingers crossed that it's a codeshare flight with Virgin Atlantic, and even more crossed that it's their plane with the new entertainment system. I flew from SFO to London with it last year and didn't want the flight to end. 50 movies, lots of TV shows, interactive quizzes with the rest of the plane and you can send messages to the guy beating you. And all, totally on demand - start, pause, fast forward movies...
  13. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    for cars, just get a $20 inverter. that can convert battery power (DC) into regular AC. much cheaper and versatile and guarranteed to work because you'll be just using the AC adapters you ordinarily use.

as for the flight, i once went from detroit to tokyo and that was more than 12 hours. i found that without internet, i kind of ran out of stuff to do on my PB. so between listening to music with my iPod and doing some stuff on PB, there was enough battery life in the PB to last me as is. plus you'd want to eat and sleep too, no?

edit: ok, sorry, $30. here's an example.