iBook G3 10.1, upgrade to 10.4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidkandersen, Feb 19, 2007.

1. davidkandersen macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G3 running 10.1.5. Is it worth the $129 upgrade to 10.4? I want to run Adobe CS2

While I'm on the subject, someone gave me (burned) CD's to upgrade to 10.3 but the CD's can't be read by my laptop (wierd!) I can read DVD's and music CD's.

2. davidkandersen thread starter macrumors newbie

10.1 to 10.4 on iBook G3

Any opinions? Anyone?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If your iBook is on the supported hardware list and has enough memory, I'd consider upgrading, if only to get the new features introduced in Mac OS X 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4. Adobe CS2 series software may not run very quickly at all on that old Mac, though, especially if you only have the bare minimum of 256 MB RAM. Hard drive space may also be an issue. If you want your Adobe CS2 software to be usably fast, you may not get that on an iBook G3.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You also may have to reformat your hard disk so that it is in MacHFS+ (extended / journaled). And ditto on the comment about RAM and HD space.

5. mike dunx macrumors regular

I have 10.4.8 and CS2 running on my iBook G3, and although it's very sluggish at times, it works. I'm not sure how your G3 is running under 10.1, but it's probably a lot smoother than mine under 10.4.8. I am able to do some minor photo editing, but it takes a bit of patience.

6. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

10.4 will run very well on an iBook G3.
    The installer checks for firewire, can't install Tiger without it unless you restore from another Mac.
    Yes, it's worth it and you'll get a access to all sorts of other software too, such as; Skype, Google Earth, ...
    10.5 Leopard is not for G3s, the other option would be to update to a new hardware.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes... and upgrade immediately. The difference is like night and day.

That is not known for sure yet, and I still find it hard to believe the G3 support will go this soon (only 3.5 years since last G3s).