iBook G3 500 Airport alternative

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ilikejonessoda, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ilikejonessoda macrumors newbie

I am looking for an alternative to the 802.11b Airport Card for my iBook G3 500. Does such a thing exist? I have looked at this card. I know it doesn't list the iBook on its Mac compatibility, but I am curious as to whether anyone has tried it before? or if they know of an alternative

2. tombo macrumors member

Unfortunately, the sonnet card only works with PCMCIA slots.

Your iBook doesn't have one of those.

It would work with G3 Powerbooks, but not with your iBook.

I have the same iBook as you, and the only solution is to find the old Airport card, but they're becoming more and more rare to find these days.

I don't think any cards exist of the airport shape made by other manufacturers.. as it's an Apple design that goes into Apple hardware.

Sorry 'bout that

3. ilikejonessoda thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Tom Magnum macrumors newbie

Tom Magnum

All is not lost! You can get an usb wireless external card off ebay. I saw one today for $42. I agree, original airport cards are hard to find (and expensive) I'd recommend ebay.

5. ilikejonessoda thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Tom Magnum macrumors newbie

Tom Magnum

7. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Why not just get an airport card. lacomputercompany.com and other places still carry them. just look around.

Beware USb external adaptors. Many people have had problems with flaky driver support. Ethernet adaptors, like the linksys WET11, are much more reliable (since they don't need drivers), but they also require power from an outlet, unlike USb versions.