ibook g3 500MHz os9.2 memory/internet problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moosechops, Feb 8, 2005.

1. moosechops macrumors newbie

inherited this ibook from a friend, never been a mac user before. Had no problems untill downloading internet explorer 5.1 (an upgrade) since then when using net keep getting memory warnings, saying either critically low memory, out of memory or close other windows or applications when none open, and constantly can't view large files, not sure how to allocate more memory to explorer, when trying it via mac help system crashes.

clearly i'm not very computer literate, simple advice needed please!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you find the Internet Explorer or whatever application file which complains about memory sufficiency, you mark it and chose "Get Info" (Cmd-I). Then, as far as I can recall - it's been a couple of years, you should find a field for recommended/minimum(?) memory allocation and a field for maximum. Typically you'd choose something like 10.000 kB on the first and maybe as much as 100.000 kB (or even more, if you go enough RAM) as the maximum...

Edit: There is also a control panel (called Memory?) where you can allocate more virtual memory for the machine, if the issue is not with IE but a lack of RAM...

3. moosechops thread starter macrumors newbie

getting info doesn't bring up anything about memory allocation, seem to remember trying that before after telephone advice from the friend who passed this machine onto me.

the memory problem does seem to be IE with warning messages to that effect and advice to increase the memory allocated to it, this is what i can't seem to be able to do

will try upping the virtual memory and see if it helps, have also tried this before with no improvement.

many, many thanks for the reply

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In the Info box, did you try the pull down menu, to look for Memory?

It should work... The example is for Freehand but IE shold be just the same... just make sure you do the "Get Info" (or File -> Get Info -> Memory) on the actual IE application and not on an alias...

5. moosechops thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try pull down menu. no memory there, only general information and sharing...

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

And that was an application and NOT an alias...???

7. moosechops thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, found memory in drop down menu in .smi file and changed as per your advice, is that right?

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Correct procedure, but wrong file. A .smi file is a (self-exstracting archive and/or image file), not an application...

...just a thought, since you said you downloaded the "new" version of IE: You don't run it from an image file...? (I.e. does a hardrive/diskdrive/cd icon (named similar to the mentioned .smi file?) appear on your desktop whenever IE is running?)

Edit: Sorry it took a while to answer. It was late last night, local time, an I just had to get some sleep... ;)