iBook G3 600Mhz 384MB 40GB DVD-ROM Good Deal??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mylexon20s, Dec 3, 2003.

1. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with this guy about an ibook.. The specs are iBook G3, 600mhz 384mB 40G and the combo drive.. Do you think that $750 for it is a good price??? He installed panther already and it has an airport card.. Should I buy it, or is it not worth it.. I'm used to a quick computer , emailing, talking on AIM, surfing the net, do you think that computer will be able to multi-task ok? or do you think it would be to slow?? Let me know guys, Thanks!

2. MacandCheese macrumors newbie

Do it to it brotha

384 meg of Ram is the selling point. That should be plenty sufficient for your purposes. I have a friend that flaunts a similar model in front of me and my Vaio on a daily basis. For the most part, I want to slap him for the pain he puts me through. 750 sounds like a decent deal.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It sounds decent, but you could get one of these from Apple for a littel more. Faster, and brand new. While you'd have to spring for the 900 MHz model to get the Combo drive, I think it's an overall better deal. I'm sure you'd qualify for the Panther up-to-date program as well.

4. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

make sure to ask for the panther disks

if he can't give you them then the Panther is most likely pirated. It is always good to have the backup disks if for some odd reason your computer stops to budge.

5. gairloch macrumors newbie

I'd wait...

G'day...

Since it's a combo 600... I'm guessing it's not got enough umph for Quartz Extreme... 384 Ram is a bare minimum.... I mean bare... NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO

I've got an iBook 600 with 16MB VRAM... running X.3.1 and things run smoothly. I'm satisfied, but then I bought this a over a year ago, used at that time.) If I was selling I wouldn't ask more than 800 Canadian....eh.

I certainly wouldn't pay 750 US for an iBook 600. Maybe 600$, eh. Even with Panther.

But then, that's just me. I'd either bargain for a lower price or save up 1100$ for a brand new G4 iBook.

Patience is pretty much always a virtue. But then, that'll be up to u, eh!

Good luck.