Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Here's a fun one for you guys. My teacher in my class (tech school for computers and networking) acquired an old iBook, 14 inch. He has no idea what model it is, or what the specs are. He gave it to me to try to repair, being the only Mac guy in the class. Here's the deal. It charges the battery, and but won't turn on. I tried the PMU reset. Any ideas?

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Tried a different battery? I wouldn't wish it on anyone but you could open it up and check that the connector from the power switch hasn't frazzled away to nothing.

http://www.ifixit.com has some great guides for taking apart old macs.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Haven't tried a new battery. The thing is charging the batter, and it is plugged in. I will take a look at ifixit.com, but I am wondering if there is a way to tell if it is a G4, G3, or what the speeds are without turning it on. Any ideas?

windywoo

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
You can get logic boards on ebay, but whether you want to spend the time to put one in is another thing. The most that G3 will handle is most likely web surfing and email.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Yea. My prof wanted it fixed if possible cause he has never used OS X. He doesn't wanna spend money on it, so, nope. I may see if he'll give it to me, I can try to fix it for my brother, and give him a laptop (that's all he does on our iMac anyways...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.