iBook G3 800MHz... is this the failing logic board?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sgarringer, Dec 8, 2004.

1. sgarringer macrumors regular

So heres the story. The last couple of weeks, I noticed that the sleeping light on my iBook G3 800 MHz hasn’t been blinking when its in sleep mode. Not a huge deal, I figure maybe its just worn out (a lot of blinking in the last couple years). Then, just last week, my battery life started to drop horribly. I mean, if its in sleep for more than a day, the battery is just dead. 0% charge dead. I figure the battery is at least 2 years old, probably needs to be replaced anyway.

That brings us to today. I’m working away on my laptop, and suddenly it beach balls. I’m right in the middle of typing a URL into Safari, but I can still move the mouse, although the dock doesn’t respond. I try to pull up force quit, no luck. I give it about 30 seconds, the hard drive by this time is making a click click click noise (not the first time I’ve heard it, but normally it comes out of it). I wait about 30 seconds, the hard drive stops making noise and now the mouse wont move at all.

So I decide to reset it. I do the 3 fingered thing, and the screen goes black. No video. Now I’m worried. I pull the power and the battery, wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and plug power back in. The power goes to orange right away. I hit the power button. Nothing. I hold it. Nothing. I press it 20 times. Nothing. Not a peep. Nothing spinning up nothing at all.

The question is, my hardware hasn’t changed since the day I purchased it, and my software has been constant for at least 6 months. Apple is closed, but do you think this is a failed logic board. It says “starting up to a black screen” is covered, well, this isn’t exactly starting up. Any advice or has anyone gone through this themselves?

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Sounds like it to me. Isn't there that Logic Board Replacement thingum?

3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Sorry to inform you, but it is definitely NOT the iBook logic board fault, although it may be the logic board at fault, it wont be covered under that program.

Try leaving it unplugged and with the battery out for 30 minutes.

Try the "apple", "Option", "Shift" and "power" button reset.

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I had the same exact thing twice & it WAS covered... I also had it go where right in the middle of an email the lines started going berzerk followed very quickly by black, that was covered too... This whole iBook thing is such a disaster, they'll fix it... Though I gotta believe soon they're just gonna stop putting those ticking time bombs back into the hands of the public... Can't see how this is cost effective since they're replacing them 3 & 4 times, that's just my opinion...

5. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

How is that not what the problem is? Thats basically what mine did the first time...

6. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got the same iBook as you and it sounds exactly like the problem I had with two of my three logic board failures. Just using the computer, no problems, then video freeze and black screen upon restart. The last time I had random lines running across the screen for about a week before it finally died.

As far as the blinking white light when it is sleeping, mine went out before my last logic board failure and Apple said it isn't covered unless you have Apple care. Hopefully you were smarter than me and spent the extra money for it...

7. sgarringer thread starter macrumors regular

No, I didn't, although I don't really care about the blinking light that much (note: with my first logic board failure, they replaced the light too)...

What worries me is it wouldnt start at _all_. Did yours at least make the noises like it was starting? Because mine is being competely silent.

On another note, I let it charge overnight, and it started this morning. I quickly copied all my data off, just in case (by data I mean ripped music in iTunes) and deauthed the computer from my iTunes acct. Now that its working again, I assume thats a pretty good indication it wasn't the logic board... is that correct?

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I don't know if that's an indication that it isn't the LB... One of mine went berzerk once & than worked flawlessly for a few more weeks- before finally dying... It's a shame that these things are such a problem... I feel for you because that's a lousy feeling... If you do have them replace it again do it with the understanding that this will be the last time- if it goes again you should get the dollar amount of a new iBook G4 credited to you... That's what I did- when the 4th board died they gave up (with a little friendly encouragement from me), & offered me a new one...

9. sgarringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'll call them today. At least I have the advantage that I'm working 12 hour days at work from now until christmas, so I have little if any time to actually use the thing... So I wont miss it being in the shop for repairs.

On the bright side, if they did credit me the price of an iBook G4, I'd promptly use all this overtime money to buy a nice Powerbook. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a powerbook for myself! Otherwise, I have to spend all this extra money on jewerly for my gf, and who wants to waste money like that! =P

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

That's what I did... The only bad part was that I had it maxed out on ram & I ended up losing all of that because it wasn't compatible...

11. sgarringer thread starter macrumors regular

Ouch, crap. Your right, i have a 512 chip in there... oh well, I get my GF might end up with a 512MB upgrade for her Dell =] Merry christmas!

12. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Mine would still make the start up chime but there would just be nothing on the screen. And if your computer was working after being charged, I'm not sure if that is the logic board or not. As soon as mine dies, I call Apple and send it off within two or three days and the display has never started working again without a repair.

I'm not sure if this is what is wrong with your iBook but my friend had a Sony laptop and there was something wrong with the power supply. It would seem to be running off of the power brick but was actually running from the battery. It would just seem to die randomly but it was just the battery running out and the PC putting itself to sleep. Then it would somehow charge itself and be all better in the morning. Very weird and I have never heard about this problem on any other system but maybe something to check.

Anyway, hope you solve your problem and it isn't something that Apple won't fix for free.