iBook G3 & audio recording?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ortiga, Dec 21, 2003.

1. ortiga macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    I was wondering if an iBook g3 700mHZ would be able to handle stereo playback + stereo recording at the same time?

I've got a MOTU 828mkII firewire audio interface for it, and would use the iBook as a portable recording device.

Also, how much ambient/fan noise should I expect? I would need near-silence.

any help appreciated! - james
  2. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    You should be able to do that no problem, but it would help you greatly to have an external 7200 RPM FireWire hard drive. One of the main aids to getting high track counts is a fast hard drive. Can't tell you about the fan noise, as I don't own an iBook. Go to osxaudio.com and search the forums, you'll probably find the answer to most of your questions, and there are a bunch of real knowledgeable guys on the forums.
  3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world

I have an iBook 900MHz and the fan almost never turns on. That means it is complete quite.
  4. tripswitch macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2003
    lovely sunny UK
    You'll get stereo in and out quite happily on the internal drive, but if you want more than that you'll need an external 7200 rpm firewire drive, I use LaCie d2's and they work really well. A lot depends on the software as well, Digital Performer is really good for long files, whereas Logic is better on small files. Fan noise is quite unobtrusive on the iBook, but always a good idea to keep them away from mic, or set the mics pattern to cardiod and make sure it faces away friom the computer.