iBook G3 Clamshell with Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, Jun 20, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm saving up for a PowerBook 12", and until then I need something to tie me over for the time while I'm saving... My dad just bought a peecee and gave me his iBook clamshell. It's the original one - 300MHz, upgraded RAM to 96mb - when we upgraded that it was pretty good at the time, 3GB HD, CD-ROM, OS 9.2 on it at the moment, about 2.3GB left(i've deleted all my dad's ****)... I have Mac OS X 10.2 on disk - would that be okay if I formatted the HD and put OS X 10.2 on there with only the needed stuff w/o all the fonts/printers/etc etc etc

I know i need RAM where should I get it at and how much? can you override the iBook and put in 512MB in there? or only 256? where should I get it at?

It has AirPort...ummm... maybe a Hard Drive upgrade? where could i get one?

I really don't wanna spend a lot of money as it is just for a few months.

I'm not going to do anything heavy duty right now.. i give that to my peecees for a job.. basically all i'm ganna do is microsoft word/appleworks/internet/itunes/ and maybe iPhoto but nothing intensive

What do you think? maybe a 15GB HD 512/256 RAM hold me over?

Could Tiger work?

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Officially Tiger won't work on that machine. You need a DVD drive and firewire ports, and that machine has neither. However, there are ambitious souls out there that could get OS X to work on a Mac SE if you really wanted. Here are some things you'll need to do to get Tiger working:

1. More RAM. Go to ramseeker.com. A 512 MB chip goes for $83 these days.

2. More disk space. 40 GB laptop drives go for under $70. Unless someone gives you a 15 GB drive, don't waste your money. I'd go for the cheapest 40 GB drive I could find. No need to spend extra for more space or higher RPMs if this machine is an appetizer to hold you over until you get the PowerBook

3. If you have a retail copy of Tiger, call Apple and tell them you need Tiger on CD media. I believe there is a $9.95 charge for them to send it to you.

4. Go to eshop.macsales.com and read up on XPostFacto. You'll need that to actually install Tiger.

5. Or to make it a bit easier, skip steps 3 and 4 and use Panther. You can get just as much done with Panther as you can with Tiger. :)

3. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

can the ibook be overdriven to have a 512 stick in there?
    i thought that the ibook could only be able to go up to 288MB of RAM

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

5. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

LMAO!

6. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

can the ibook be overdriven to have a 512 stick in there?
    i thought that the ibook could only be able to go up to 288MB of RAM

I posted this above.. but nonone responded ... sorry for being impatient it is just that i need to know what to buy.

7. iPoster macrumors regular

According to Mactracker, the original iBook maximum RAM is:

544 or 576 MB (Acutal) or 288 or 320 MB (Apple spec)

In other words, you should be able to get a 512MB SO-DIMM in the user slot, plus whatever RAM is on the mobo. (32/64MB)

The iBook takes one (1) PC66 3.3v 144pin SO-DImm.

Hope that helps!

8. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

9. iPoster macrumors regular

iBook tech specs from Apple

Processor: G3, 300 or 366 MHz
    PMMU: integrated
    FPU: integrated
    Data Path: 64-bit, 66 Mhz
    L1 Cache: 64 K
    L2 Cache: 512 K
    2nd Processor: none