iBook G3 connect to wifi

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iBookit3, Dec 7, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2011
    I have been reading this site since getting a iBook given to me a month ago. It came with panther and tiger disk. This is the first computer that is just mine and im trying to make it as fast as possible. I know that i need more ram and a faster hard drive but those will have to wait. I read here that panther is faster than tiger with a g3.

my ibook will not connect to wifi when panther is installed. It has no problem when booted to tiger. I did several google searches and the only post I find are really old ones to connect to a collage network.

Using internet connect and 802.1x Im confused about what I put in configuration and user name. It gets stuck on authenticating.

please help
  2. macrumors 68000

May 20, 2011
    Wales, UK
    Can you post the specs? Anyway run Tiger on it, I used to have an iBook G3, I tried both Panther & Tiger on it and Tiger is far superior in nearly every way. But if you do decide to run Panther for whatever reason, the only thing I can think of is maybe go to Apple Software Update and see if the AirPort utility is up to date, also, just to be safe, check if the AirPort card is fully in.
  3. macrumors G3

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I'm not sure, but I don't think Panther has WPA. I think that came along with Tiger. If the network is using WPA security and Panther only has WEP that would explain why you can't connect.

I don't know about speed, but Panther was mind-numbingly boring. Stable, but boring.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2009

I guess that is your problem.From what I remember from my ibook g3, there was an update that "made" tiger support 802.1x, and guess it didn't happen to panther.

I don't know about your ibook, but mine (12',g3 800mhz,ATI graphic card,512mb pc133+soldered ram,40Gb hdd) was +- the same speed in tiger and panther.
    With panter it was a pain to find a .docx compatible office suite, for tiger there are lots of them.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for all of the help. Its a 5oo mhz with 320 mb of ram. I did the software update and that fixed my problem. For me Panther works a little bit faster especially when scrolling. Panther also boots twice as fast. i will try tiger again after I get more ram.