iBook G3 doesn't start-up at all...help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MOFS, Oct 21, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

MOFS

Right. So few the past few months, when I press the power-on button of my G3 iBook (600MHz, dual USB), its taken a few presses to get it going. Now I can't get the laptop going at all! I'm running 10.3.9, I've had no problems with RAM, I've reset the power-unit by pressing the reset button, the battery is charged and the charger works... so what can I do?

Any help useful to save my laptop!

mofs

2. macrumors 6502a

spinne1

A clue is that is takes several times hitting the power button. Perhaps the button itself is worn out and no longer sends the signal. You may be able to fix it by opening up the computer and inspecting and cleaning the connection for the power button.

3. macrumors newbie

This is not the power button, iBook G3's are very well known for their logic board failures (some have had them replaced 4-5 times). Apple set up a Logic Board Repair service for this, which now only covers iBook G3 Dual USB's bought in the last 3 years.

Try applying firm pressure to the left palm rest this may help it to start as the logic board failure is basicly the graphics chip gets too hot and becomes de soldered from the logic board resulting in a failure.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ibook/faq/

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it not responding to the power button at all or does it give some hint that it knows you've tried starting it up? :)

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

All you can hear is the click of the button as you depress it.

In terms of fixing the power button, does anyone know how you'd access the button? When you release the keyboard, all I can access is the Airport card and the RAM. Is there a way to actually get into the plastic shell?

6. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If you want to get to the power button you will have to open that ibook all the way and check it out.

Bless