Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I just got a iBook G3 (dual USB 4,1 model M6497), and it's very hard to open and it makes loud squeaking noises when I open it. I was wonder if there was something I can buy to lube the hinge so it opens up like it used to and didn't make those noises any more. Right now that's all I can tell you about the machine, I got it without a battery and power adapter so I don't know if the screen works yet. Waiting for those parts to come in.

ALSO: Anyone with some kind of references able and willing to take this part and put into a bigger hard drive for me (I have the hard drive)? I looked up on how to replace the hard drive and to be honest, it's a little over whelming for me. I was like WOW, my one PowerBook or MacBook Pro are not that involved to replace the hard drive. :/ I would send it to a local Apple Dealer or a computer repair place that works on Apple products, but we don't have any place any more. :(

Thanks!

=Hugh

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Laptop hinges are an unusual beast. They are "friction hinges" or clutch hinges.

Think about this. When a laptop display is opened and leaning slightly back at an angle, the hinge needs to overcome the force of the display trying to completely flop backwards. However, you only need to apply a little force to move the display to a 'comfortable' viewing angle.

This is a delicate balancing act, and there needs to be enough friction to hold the display open at the desired angle, whilst lubricating mating surfaces of the hinge to prevent creaking and jamming.

Oils and such will over-lubricate the clutch, resulting in a display that won't stay open.

I've seen reports of people heating the outer part of the clutch to effectively open a gap to which a thick grease can be applied, then allow the clutch to cool. I've never attempted it myself, but I've seen the result of using oils or WD-40 and the result was a display that won't stay open in a fixed position.

Beside the above, accessing the clutches/hinges IMHO, is much more difficult than installing a hard drive in a Dual USB iBook.

I realize that doesn't help to achieve your goal, but hopefully gives you an understanding of the problem.

As for local repairers able to perform the work required (possibly involving replacement hinges), I leave it up to other members here who may be located in your area and able to advise on a capable repairer.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it was a good idea or good thing to do, but I didn't want to break it by opening it either. Which is why I ask, thanks for letting me know. :)

=Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.