Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npodd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hi all

I am having a problem with an iBook G3 not booting. The chime sounds, followed by a grey screen (not reached the Apple logo as yet) starting like this:

panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4, 1".

backtrace [followed by various character combinations]

No debugger configured - dumping debug information

.....[more stuff followed]

I don't think this is a logicboard problem as the screen is working fine and the various startup shortcuts work as well. I did a full reinstall by booting from the dvd (10.0 supplied). Also reset everything. The install was 'successful', but the reboot brought me back to the grey screen.

Is there any way that I can update the platform driver or fireware on this iBook? I have had a look at it in target mode, and ran disk utility. All seems fine.

Any help at all would be much appreciated! Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Software problem, probably OS related.

OS X 10.0 is really old and not a good OS, I think you will be able to run a newer OS like 10.3 or even 10.4 but then we need to know the ibook model number.

What is odd though is, you say iBook G3 but it says: panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4, 1".

Last edited:

npodd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Software problem, probably OS related.

OS X 10.0 is really old and not a good OS, I think you will be able to run a newer OS like 10.4 or even 10.4 but then we need to know the ibook model number.

Thanks. Yes, it is an old one. I'm trying to solve the problem for a mate and it's the first time I've been stumped. I am watching 10.4 on eBay at the moment as I need it for a PowerBook G4 too. Tiger will go on the iBook too, according to Apple. It's the dual USB version - the first non-clamshell version with the translucent keyboard. I personally have a MBPro running 10.8 and a later iBook running 10.5. The only thing I've used below 10.4 is System File 3.0 on a Macintosh Plus! So this is new ground for me.

Might have to wait to get 10.4 then. Thanks

EDIT: Model number is M6497. The "PowerBook4, 1" bit has been quoted in other forums and pages, so is normal so far as I know.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks. Yes, it is an old one. I'm trying to solve the problem for a mate and it's the first time I've been stumped. I am watching 10.4 on eBay at the moment as I need it for a PowerBook G4 too. Tiger will go on the iBook too, according to Apple. It's the dual USB version - the first non-clamshell version with the translucent keyboard. I personally have a MBPro running 10.8 and a later iBook running 10.5. The only thing I've used below 10.4 is System File 3.0 on a Macintosh Plus! So this is new ground for me.

Might have to wait to get 10.4 then. Thanks

It can run 10.4.11 Max, in my first post I said 10.4 two times, should have been 10.3-10.4.

I had a Powerbook G3 before this one, it was the Pismo 500Mhz, ran 10.4 fairly decent except of course crappy flash.
Just get 10.4.11 on it, and a good idea is to slim the OS of any non PPC code, makes it a bit faster.
And Max. RAM.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I think you need 10.1 not 10.0 OSX to boot your dual USB. Check the release dates on your laptop and check them against the release of 10.0.

If i recall correctly, my 400mhz Tibook came with 10.1 OSX.

In other words, not sure you can boot the 2002 iBook Dual USB from OSX that is too old.

Try Panther/Tiger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.