iBook G3 for $400 - Good or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just looking for some opinions on if this price is good:

iBook G3
    800Mhz
    640MB RAM
    30GB
    CD-ROM (ew)
    12"

$400 and we would meet in person to eliminate scam/shipping.

Thoughts on price? I think it's great. I know this can run Tiger, I can use the sans DVD method.

2. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Sounds like a very nice machine. The only problem I can see is the CD ROM drive, but hey, for that price, it's worth it.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, a combo would be extremely nice, but since I have my Quicksilver, I can still install Tiger on the iBook and boot the iBook in FW Target mode if I need to burn some files off of it onto a CD or DVD. I could also boot the quicksilver in FW target mode if I needed to do use the larger HD for iMovie or something.

Does anyone know how iMovie will run on a G3 800? I know it won't be blazing, but usable?

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I would imagine it would do fine, with Tiger.

5. MacHarne macrumors 6502

iMovie on this iBook is a struggle. It's the same dilemma to approach as when I attempted GarageBand on here - it is usable and will, eventually, get the job done.

If you have lots of patience you should be ok. Having the max RAM will help considerably. Just get used to beachballs for large files.

Does the iBook have an Airport card? If that's a yes, then I'd certainly go for that machine; despite the CD-ROM drive, for $400 a maxed-RAM iBook G3 800 with an Airport Card is a good deal.

6. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yup, AP card included. I think I'm going to take it. Thanks guys.

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That was my exact machine before DHL lost it last year, and it was replaced by my present iBook. It is an awesome machine, and you will not be disappointed with it. The only issue that I can think of is the chronic logic board problem with the G3's (which is what mine was having fixed before DHL lost it). Fortunately, that problem is still covered for another year or so.

8. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I wished DHL lost mine and I got a new one. As Napoleon would say...."LUCKY!".

9. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

That's a great price. Do be warned though, that's one of the faulty logic-board models.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

awesome deal! if it uses a tray loading drive (i have no idea :eek:) a combo drive or even a dvd burner is quite reasonably priced.

11. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Congrats on your iBook. Hope it is pleasant.

The whole logic board issue isn't something to quell over. Since it is a recall service and not a warranty issue, you don't have to pay anything to get it fixed apart from transportation costs to and fro an Apple Store or service center. I had my iBook's logic board replaced very quickly. And if it does crap out on you, you'll have doubt that it is the logic board at fault (expect screen flickers or static or just no screen response).

12. aldo macrumors regular

I disagree entirely.

I have suffered 3 logic board failures in the last year. It is an absolute nightmare.

Expect to spend at least 3 hours on the phone to Apple each time while they try and prove that it's not the logic board at fault. Then if you are like me in the UK and don't live within 2 hours of the nearest Apple service spend, expect to spend a while persuading them for them to pick up the iBook.

Then have fun trying to backup all your data while the machine works spectacularly poorly and reinstall OSX.

After that, count in the time wasted that you are spending sitting at home waiting for the delivery van.

Take another 2-5 days for them to fix it and send it back to you, or usually what happens, tell you that there is nothing wrong and they spend a week 'testing' it and then discovering, no, you are not lying and yes, the machine really is broken.

Then spend another day waiting for the delivery again, then you have to reinstall all your applications, settings and copy your backups back over...

Then have it happen again, and again, each time Apple telling you that they won't replace the machine. Why do they do this? How can it be cheaper to continually spend hours of engineer time (it must take 1-2 hours to fix these issues, considering how complex the iBook is to take apart and reassemble then test) and blow godknows how much on logic boards with all the components integrated (more $$$) and all the delivery expenses than simply replacing it with a low-end iBook G4 which has 'no issues'? I have had 5, yes, 5 logic boards (talking to the engineer about half of the ones they get are completely dead on arrival) and I am not alone.

To be honest I'm just waiting until I get my forth then they will 'possibly replace it' with a new one. Total insanity on Apple's part.

I have thought about simply buying a new Powerbook but then it's became a bit of an issue of principle - why should I back down when Apple sells knowingly faulty products?

I know everyone hates Dell here, but I had a problem with a Dell laptop, they had a replacement on my door a day later, I copied all my data over and sent the old one back. This is the sort of service which is not only cheaper to provide for Apple in most cases, but is far better for the consumer.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i love my g3 ibook, but this is june 2005 and you need to move forward

use the money, and save a little more, and get a mini mac or emac...in the long run it will be the better choice

...but at least you are not buying a windows 98 pc laptop for that amount ;)

14. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thanks but I already have my quicksilver, which works fine. Just looking to use iChat wirelessly in the house!