iBook G3 harddrive replacement

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yoshiii, Mar 19, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Hello I have IBook G3 700Mhz that I just replaced the harddrive with a new 80 gig drivel. I am installing OS 9.2 on it, from a retail cd. But when it boots up while I am holding down "C" it only shows a folder with a question mark. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use the install cds that came with the IBook first?
    (I posted this topic in the wrong place the first time)
    Help

2. macrumors 601

mjstew33

You need to boot the drive with a Mac OS X CD and go into disk utility and reformat the drive to have OS 9 drivers for the HD.

Are 700MHz capable of OS 9.2?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it had it already as well as OS 10.2 when I got it. Replaced the hard drive so can have a bigger and faster harddrive.
    I will try booting from OS 10

Thank you

4. thread starter macrumors member

It wont let me boot, it still shows the folder with a flashing question mark.

So should I try using the install cd that came with the IBook?

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. Have you formatted the drive? You can do this through Disk Utility on the install disks by erasing the drive (and selecting a format type).

As for having OS9, I don't know much about the older computers but was your machine actually capable of booting into OS9 or were you running it through OSX (Classic mode)? :)

6. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You can ONLY boot into OS9 using the orginal iBook CD-ROMs due to they have an enabler to make it work on this model. After a OS is released to retail, Apple has to write enabler software for it to run on models thats newer.

7. thread starter macrumors member

So I cant use the OX 10 cd to format drive and than install OS 9? I have to use install cds?