iBook G3 Logicboard Dead Again...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rtdgoldfish, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. macrumors 6502a


    Jul 4, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    As the title of the thread suggests, my 800Mhz iBook G3's logicboard just died again. This is the FIFTH TIME!!!

    So now, my problem is this: should I wait a week or so to call Apple with the hope that new iBooks will be announced at WWDC or soon after?? I will be getting a brand new iBook this time and I want to get anything I can from Apple. I know that anything is an improvement from the current machine and I would me more than happy with a current 12" G4 iBook. I don't want to be greedy but I really feel that after dealing with all the headaches this machine has caused, I really deserve a good upgrade.

    So what do you guys and gals think I should do?? Hold off a week and hope for an update or just go ahead and call them today or tomorrow?? I have my Mac Mini and my PC and am out of school for the summer so I do not need the laptop right away.

    Another option, I have read on here that several users have managed to get a PowerBook out of Apple or at least an upgrade of RAM or HD. How did you manage this?? If I can do that, I will just get a 12" PowerBook and forget about waiting for an iBook update.
  2. macrumors 6502a

    Dec 18, 2003
    No harm in waiting until after the Stevenote on Tuesday if you won't need the iBook before then.
  3. macrumors 6502


    Apr 30, 2002
    Steve's keynote is on Monday at 10 AM Pacific.
  4. macrumors 68000


    Nov 11, 2004
    Wait until after...
    I think your iBook is covered under the logic board repair program
    if yes bother apple about it for a week or so with you repair shop and they will send you a new ibook just to get rid of you!

    Point out to them that the logic board replacement costs are higher than if they gave you a new functioning computer.
    I got my G4 1GHZ iBook that way after my 700MZH G3 died three times...unfortunately it got stolen a month ago...
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 4, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    Just called Apple and they are gonna send me another box. Customer service is closed so I sent a letter to them via e-mail. I put stevejobs@apple.com as a CC as well. I wish he would read this, yeah, right. Like that will happen. Anyway, here's the letter: (Sorry, it's 2.5 pages long!)

    Anyone think that will do anything?? It was more of just a letting some anger out letter, prolly won't do anything and will never hear from them. Oh well, I will be calling customer service in the morning and getting the ball rolling.
  6. hob
    macrumors 68020


    Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Have faith my friend. I didn't keep hold of my G3 900MHz 12" iBook for more than 8 months. It failed 3 times in that time (I think i have a habit of over-using my machines :p ), and when I demanded they replace it with a G4 12" they offered me a 14" iBook or a 12" PowerBook.

    Well, silver's pretty! :D

Share This Page