iBook G3 Memory question.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Time Clock, Aug 15, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Mar 5, 2004
    Hemet, CA
    I'm looking to add more RAM to my Dual USB 2001 iBook so apps don't crash so often. I only have a whopping 256 mb and it's frustrating to see apps crash frequently. Is there a manufacturer and/or online store that you guys recommend?

One more thing... will maxing out the RAM at 640 mb make that much of a difference in my system?

Thanks and if this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.
  2. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    If you are in the USA, I recommend DMS or OWC

Upgrading to 640 MB should make a noticeable difference in time lag and speed. However if your machine is crashing because of software problems or other hardware problems, then new RAM won't fix that -- you'll need to get to the bottom of why it is crashing.
  3. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I'd recommend either OWC or DMS. A 512 MB stick will run you about $45-$55.

You'll definitely see a performance boost by upping the RAM, but that machine can only do so much, so other limitations will become your bottlenecks. I run Tiger on the same machine (very light duty stuff) with 384 MB, and it's serviceable, but not great.

Edit: Too slow...the CanadaRAM is speedy.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 5, 2004
    Hemet, CA
    What got me thinking that it was a memory problem was that after I updated to 10.4.11 from 10.4.9, everything started to crash. Safari and Quicktime were especially bad. I reinstalled 10.4.6 and I am now at 10.4.9... again

Ultimately, it's an inexpensive solution; I can't afford a new computer:(

And thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate them.
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2008
    If you are having problems then you should run real memory tests. The Apple Hardware Test CD gives a quick check but may not find the problem. See http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM for other programs to try.