iBook G3 Price?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by steamboat26, Aug 2, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I am considering getting a laptop (a mac of course) to complement my mac mini. I don't have the cash for a macbook, or even a used ibook G4, so i am looking into the white ibook G3s. Any idea on how much i could expect to pay for one?
    Also, someone offered to sell me an ibook with video problems (broken logic board i assume) for $100. Is a good deal? I have looked around and found logic board replacements for around $300-$400, and then i saw that apple had a logic board replacement program which ended like a year and a half ago. Any way i could still get apple to replace the logic board through this program?
    Thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Personally, I would look for a G4 iBook over any of the G3s. First of all, it'll be faster. Secondly, all of the G3 iBooks use the original Airport Card (11b). I think some of the newer G4 iBooks used Airport Extreme (11g). While that might not be a big deal in terms of speed, the original Airport Cards cost a whole lot more since they've been discontinued.

As for the $100 iBook, see if you can get the serial number from the seller. If it is indeed a bad logic board, it may still qualify for the recall. It mostly depends on when it was originally sold. Also, see if it has a working Airport Card. That alone is worth about $100.

ft

Oops. I re-read your post regarding your question about the logic board replacement program.

It did end about 1.5 years ago (March 2005 - I believe). But they do say that it will extend to 3 years from the purchase date. So if it was originally bought after August 2, 2003, and it falls under the program, then it's covered.

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

He was offering an ibook G3 with an unused airport card. He said that the computer had been upgraded for video editing or something like that. Are you sure that it might still qualify? because the apple site says that the program ended March 12, 2005
    I saw a post in discussions on apple.com that said you should call customer relations and ask for an extension on the logic board replacement. so if i get the laptop, i might try that.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The Airport Card could be worth $100 alone. So you might want to snag the deal.

As far as the iBook being under the plan, check the Apple Page.

Here's one quote.

Here's another quote.

Depending on the original purchase date, it may very well be covered.

Good Luck.