iBook G3 problems = G4 Problems?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lsuperguy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. lsuperguy macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2003
    I have been hearing about the frustrating problems with the logic board in the G3 iBooks. I just bought a G4 about a month ago and I was wondering if I should be on the lookout for these problems with my computer as well. I know they haven't really been out that long and I would hope that with Apple knowing about these problems would have fixed this when upgrading them to the G4 but I'm scared.

So has anyone heard either way if the issue was delt with in the new iBooks or should I be worried?

Thanks so much.
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    I doubt this problem will occur in the G4 iBooks. Apple knew about this problem when the G4 iBooks were realeses, so they fixed what was causing the problem. Also, the iBook G4 has a different motherobard architecture since it has the G4 chip instaed of the G3. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm still not convined about these G3 iBook problems. If it was so widespread, why does the class action sign up have only 1,600 people? That's under 1% of units sold. Hope I'm not wrong, I just took delivery of a new G3 iBook/900 that I got for $601. Too good a deal to pass up. Despite that, I will probably buy an extended warranty- TAP or AppleCare.
  4. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    1% is a very high rate of failure for a single problem. And you have to remember that far fewer than 100% of ibook owners are aware of the class action. Far fewer.
  5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Godd point. Im sure there are plenty of people who haven't signed these petitions because their iBook broke and now they have no computer.

So exactly why did he (the thread starter) get Banned?
  6. ipirate macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Thats a good question... I would to love to hear the answer to that question myself.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i can't see how he got banned but maybe he pissed off one of the moderators or something

it's much easier to get banned from the mac related sections because they are monitored and kept civil...now the political forums section does not get monitored very much and is full of personal insults and has some members spouting off neo nazi white supremist garbage and the like

because the political forums don't count as posts when you post in them, that section is kind of self governing and not really a part of macrumors in a sense because some posters post there exclusively and could care less about macs and high tech in general

due to the inflammatory nature of politics, i believe arn has made it a separate section to keep from having the hotheadedness that sometimes floods those forums out of the community discussion forums

some hotheads from the political forums used to get banned but there were too many inflammatory posters to keep up with so there isn't so much banning of posters from there anymore...and perhaps not at all

after three and a half years here and being the oldest active poster, i think the political forums should be done away with...but some do make a good point that they may come and post in the community discussions area...and it would be unfortunate to hear nazi or racist rhetoric side by side with talking about one's daughter's ipod as a birthday present