ibook g3 screen question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shoveland, Jan 25, 2006.

1. shoveland macrumors newbie

My friend has a bit older g3 ibook. Just recently the screen has began to only work when the computer is open at about a 15 degree angle (acute). What is wrong here and what does it take (cost) to fix this problem?

Thanks!

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If it only works at an angle.. I'd say wiring issues. I'm new to mac, but that isn't really a mac specific problem. Call your local retailer. They'll probably have to ship it off and get that taken care of.

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

It's most likely just one of the cables. They're generally pretty cheap. The only issue is whether the screen is turning off altogether, or whether the backlight is just turning off, thus making it really really dark. That really just determines which cable you need to replace.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've heard about this before... it's something like the 90° to black problem, I think.

It's the reed switch going out, IIRC.

order one from PBfixit.com

I'd wait for a few more people to chime in before ordering and preparing to install a new reed switch, though. (I'm not 100% sure)

5. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I replaced a iBook G4 screen and did a lot of research about iBook screens. The problem you are describing is common amoung G3's. As for the exact cables you need, I'm not sure. I know you can get some on ebay sometimes. Actually, I think I have some G3 ones (from my G4 repair, I had a broken LCD and I swapped a G3 in and I think I still have the G3 wires). Let me know if you are interested in buying them for relatively cheap.

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

I"ve had the same problem before. It was a wiring issue. It would pinch one of the cables. Although, it was on a Powerbook... Check the wires for any crimps.... if ther are none, then it must be the reed switch. Check ebay for prices on that.

7. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I had just come on to ask about this when i found this post.
    The screen on my 2001 model g3 ibook only works at a 90º angle any further and it goes totally black. The computer works perfectly fine otherwise.
    Can anyone definitevly say what is wrong and whether or not i can fix it myself? if i can fix it myself can someone post a step by step guide?
    This would really help me out.

8. arbitrarywords macrumors newbie

ibook g3 screen lcd backlight is out

My ibook g3 800's backlight went out. I would like to fix it and begin using it again, but I'm a teacher and therefore have little money. I've read about a supposed wire that gets worn out by opening and closing the monitor (my ibook displayed similar problems before breaking, and this is the second time this has happened. The first time apple fixed it because it was under warranty)

Any help, links, or info would be appreciated.

9. barrywynn macrumors newbie

g3 Screen Just died

I've had a similar issue. Was wondering if you ever resolved your problem?

My iBook is a bit of a dog, speed-wise, but fixing it is cheaper than a new one.

Thanks.

10. ServPro Tech macrumors newbie

LCD Problem

I have a ibook G3 800MHz and when I plug the power up to it it turns on and you here it boot up with the apple sound and everything but no picture appears at all. I have three other screens that work cause I tested them on another ibook but it does the exact same thing, no pic, can you help me trouble shoot this issue thank you.