iBook G3 trackpad connection

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ghostee, Sep 10, 2005.

1. ghostee macrumors 6502

My friend has an iBook G3 500mhz in his possession with a non-working trackpad. He has opened it up and taken pictures of the cable from the trackpad, which appears to have no connector to plug into. It looks like the connector on the motherboard at J11 has broken off.

Is it possible to get a replacement connector and attach it to the motherboard? What about possibly soldering or somehow attaching the ribbon cable direct to the board?

Any advice would be appreciated, and pictures of the damage are here: (1), (2), (3)

Thanks!

2. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I have just got a 500MHz ibook, I bought it with the knowledge that the trackpad was "faulty". The trackpad and mouse button do not respond at all. However i took the keyboard off to have a look and when i put it back on both trackpad and button worked perfectly, next time i closed the book both stopped working. I assume that there is a connection problem and i will take off the bit of metal above the ram and have a closer look, will post pictures, might help you, i dunnno.

3. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Here are some pics of the connector, after making sure it was firmly connected i replaced the keyboard, but it still doesnt work. Hope you can find a replacement connector

I've never posted a pic before so hopefully this works

Attached Files:

4. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I just noticed, I have no "trackpad" option under sys prefs->keyboard and mouse. Could this confirm that there is a loose connection somewhere and the ibook is not recognising the trackpad at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers