Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Hi,

I'm having Trackpad woes with my wife's iBook G3 (Dual USB, Jaguar). We ran a system update last week, then the iBook was left in sleep mode for a few days, then shutdown. Now, when we boot up the machine, the Trackpad refuses to work, with the mouse pointer remaining at the top left of the screen.

One interesting point is that it doesn't seem like it is a hardware problem - when I boot up with the Mac OS X installation disk, the Trackpad responds fine.

I've tried some of the usual processes (PROM reset, tried to use an external USB mouse - no response either, even went as far as resetting the nvram) to no avail. Am I at a stage where I have to reinstall, or is there some way I can force it to recognize the trackpad?

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Yes, I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a very similar problem with my old dual usb iBook. Here:
1. Shutdown iBook
2. Take out battery, make sure power cord id unplugged.
3. Press reset button on the left side of computer for about 10 seconds.

This should work.

If you have a newer 16mb vram iBook, it doesnt have that button, so you have to use a key command. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq6)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.