iBook G3 trouble, HD dead?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Sweetfeld28, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    My parents have this iBook G3 500, which i was trying to download the new airport software for, when it all of the sudden stopped responding.

I tried to restart; didn't work, then i tried a reboot and zapped the P-RAM; didn't work. Then i decided to try and listen to the HD, to see if it was even spinning up, well it was spinning and then clicking, and it seemed to repeating non-stop. BTW, it seemed to boot, but then would get stuck on the grey apple startup screen with the rotating thing, underneeth the apple logo. Anyway, i currently tried to use the 10.2 cd, to see if i could get it to boot from that, and of course, no it didn't work. Now, i have the iBook hoked up to my G4, using Target disk mode. When i ran Disk Utility, from my computer for the iBook, it gives me this:

Repairing disk for “X Files”
    Mounting Disk(S,"Checking HFS Plus volume.",0)
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Keys out of order
    Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.
    The volume X Files could not be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume
    0 HFS volumes repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired

I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem, and if what did/ or should i do? Do you think the HD is trashed? I dont undestand why it says Keys out of order.

What should i do?
  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Using the hardware test cd that came with the computer might provide you with a more definite answer
  3. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i just tried the hardware test cd, and everything passed. I can't think of anything else to do.