iBook G3 video chip not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by upsguy27, Apr 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I have read about this issue before, and I know it is a major problem with this model iBook. When I turn on my iBook nothing shows on the display, just sound, and when it does work, there is just a fuzzy picture. Pressing on the area where the video chip is(left armrest) fixes the issue, but only if I hold it. Someone said to put something in the case to apply pressure to the video chip, and this worked, but only for a little while before the same thing started happening again. What I need is some repair place that will fix this for cheap, also maybe "clean up" my iBook a bit, it's kind of dirty, missing the bottom bumpers, and missing some screws. What do you think it would cost to get this fixed and cleaned up?

2. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

There is a company in Arizona that will reflow the solder of the graphics chip for $50. I don't think that includes shipping or disassembly of the ibook so it's probably just best for you to take it apart yourself and just send in the motherboard. I think they also provide you a 1 year warranty too. Here's their website, firstphasetech.

I have the same problem with mine but it's been fine with a shim that I used. I'm wanting to sell mine and I think that extra warranty will only add to the value.

3. macrumors newbie

I have this exact problem also on my G3 iBook. The screen will not stay on unless I hold or press somewhere on the left side of my base. Wasn't there a recall or something about this a while ago? I'd like to take it and get the problem fixed if it is a known issue and Apple will do do it for free. If they won't, I already have a MacBook I use primarily so I wouldn't pay to have it fixed.

4. macrumors 65816

upsguy27

They did, but the program to fix the iBooks for free ended in July of 2007.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ It says it ended on July 17, 2007, but I am going to try and contact them it see if I can get mine fixed for free.

5. macrumors 68000

techound1

The reflow only works if it's in the process of going. If the video is completely gone, it won't work (firstphase and I and went through this when they were just getting going on ebay).

6. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ok you're the one that directed me to them in the first place. So if the graphics chip is already screwy it won't work then? Mines been working fine with a shim, does that mean mine can't be fixed either?

7. macrumors 68000

techound1

If it's working with a shim, it can be reflowed because (as they explained to me) there is enough of a connection still there. What the reflow does is heats the solder (that has separated to make the video issue) back up and reflows the separated joints back together to re-complete fragile connections. If it pooes the bed with the shim, then it's too far gone to do the reflow.