ibook g3 won't boot from panther cd

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cai876, Aug 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought some panther cd's to install panther on my g3, the ibook sees the cd fine and i can select to boot from it (from the desktop), the ibook restarts but doesn't boot from the cd. I have tried holding C down and when i press alt down it gives me a choice of the cd or hard drive, i select the cd, the cd drive turnes for a few seconds and then it just goes back to the choice of cd or hdd choice.
    The cd's aren't original ones because i asked the seller if I could have them on a cd (no dvd drive) and he gave me what looks like copied cd's (i have legally bought the serial number) but he said they would be ok.
    Does anyone know how I can get panther on my ibook?

It's a 500mhz 12" ibook, with cd drive running mac os 9.2

2. macrumors 68000

techound1

There's your problem - the copies of the boot cds.

Apple doesn't do the serial numbers for OS discs so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

3. macrumors 65816

Windows user trying to be slick by with bootleg OS disks and having issues, then getting caught up in a small technicality when probing for help. :D

Buy some real Apple disks, and solve your issue. :)

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i have more experience with windows and i have never installed an operating system. so have i been scamed then from allmac.com?
    http://allmac.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=5_10003&products_id=6911 that is what i bought with the 9.99 panther discs. the reason i bought it was because it said this "If you are looking to upgrade your G3, G4 or G5 computer, this is the software for you. Compatible w ANY Mac that has built-in Firewire. "

the reason i thought that there were serials is because there are what looks to be serials printed on the some of the disks

please don't accuse me of stealing mac os x because i really haven't.