Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
quote:
Apple has also so far rejected calls to move the iBook – which is its last remaining G3-based product – to the G4 processor. Sources have indicated that this is in order to maintain a distinction between its consumer and professional portable lines..

Well, they shot that concept to hell when they released the G4 iMac. So where's the distinction in the pro line? July, I say, July son! :D

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I wasn't the one talking about Q3. Someone said they got better fps with their iBook with 10.2... Just tried to do some cleaning up there.

Hey... we made it to the front page... hehe...

So the iBooks will work with Quartz Extreme... hum... Apple doesn't seem to suggest so... but anyway... I guess 32 mb is for higher resoltions of the Cinema and 17" Studio Display...

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Originally posted by Backtothemac

If you have the WWDC it is there. It is under finder prefs. Also, yes QE is there in the WWDC Build.

I have the WWDC build. And I see the prefs for spring loaded folders. But they don't work.

I have an earlier build of 10.2 and it also had the same prefs without the spring loaded folders actually working.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by nero007

I have the WWDC build. And I see the prefs for spring loaded folders. But they don't work.

I have an earlier build of 10.2 and it also had the same prefs without the spring loaded folders actually working.

That is crazy. My build has the spring loaded folders, and iChat, but no Sherlock 3. Isn't that weird. I would make sure that you have admin privs, or re install it. It whould be there.

os4

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2001

If you have the WWDC it is there. It is under finder prefs. Also, yes QE is there in the WWDC Build.

Backtothemac, have you had many issues with applications running properly in 10.2? I found that many apps (e.g., NUTDC and several Omnigroup apps) failed to launch and/or run properly.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by os4

Backtothemac, have you had many issues with applications running properly in 10.2? I found that many apps (e.g., NUTDC and several Omnigroup apps) failed to launch and/or run properly.

Nothing like that. I had a couple of apps minimized that would not come back up out of the dock. Had to force quit them. All in all it is a great build, and needs just some tweaks to get it right.

os4

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing like that. I had a couple of apps minimized that would not come back up out of the dock. Had to force quit them. All in all it is a great build, and needs just some tweaks to get it right.

Thanks. I may just have had a bad install. I wiped 10.2 off my drive b/c of a few issues. But, after several of your comments, I wonder whether my problems fall under 'user error'.

Best.

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
VPC on 700 iBook

Any idea on how slow VPC would run on this new ibook if I maked the RAM out? I am looking to get a new laptop, and while I would love the TiBook, I really can't afford it, and I still do a little PC development on my laptop, so I would have to run VPC on it. IS this even reasonable, or do I have to sell a kidney and just get the TiBook? I am also really liking the bulletproof design of the iBook, I take care of my computers, but inevitably it is going to get bounced around a little...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: VPC on 700 iBook

Originally posted by TypeR389
Any idea on how slow VPC would run on this new ibook if I maked the RAM out? I am looking to get a new laptop, and while I would love the TiBook, I really can't afford it, and I still do a little PC development on my laptop, so I would have to run VPC on it. IS this even reasonable, or do I have to sell a kidney and just get the TiBook? I am also really liking the bulletproof design of the iBook, I take care of my computers, but inevitably it is going to get bounced around a little...

I am an Network Admin where I work, and the only on with a Mac. I run VPC with win 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP. All rock under X with 5.0.2 VPC, except XP. It is a friggen pig. Now, 2000 is as fast as a 400MHZ PII under VPC. So, yes, it is more than useable.

Get the iBook, you will love it. Oh, and my iBook is a 600, with 256K L2 cache, and 384 of ram, you yes, max your ram, and you will have no problems.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: VPC on 700 iBook

I am an Network Admin where I work, and the only on with a Mac. I run VPC with win 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP. All rock under X with 5.0.2 VPC, except XP. It is a friggen pig. Now, 2000 is as fast as a 400MHZ PII under VPC. So, yes, it is more than useable.

That's good to hear. I'm also going to get an iBook soon and plan to run VPC on it. Since my current laptop is a PII 366MHz, it might actually feel like an update for Windows 2000 as well :)

TypeR389

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Seattle
Re: Re: VPC on 700 iBook

Get the iBook, you will love it. Oh, and my iBook is a 600, with 256K L2 cache, and 384 of ram, you yes, max your ram, and you will have no problems.

Thanks, if you are getting something in the PII 400 range on your 600, that is more than enough to run the occasional visual studio session I can forsee. Other than that, I can't think of a reason why I would need a PC! woo hoo!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
If your getting 400mhz on OS 10, then you'll be getting 700mhz in OS 9. Frankly in OS 10 vs. OS 9 for VPC OS 9 makes it feel like a 1ghz PC on my Mac! Just don't turn the resolution too high (1204x1024 for example).

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by dantec
If your getting 400mhz on OS 10, then you'll be getting 700mhz in OS 9. Frankly in OS 10 vs. OS 9 for VPC OS 9 makes it feel like a 1ghz PC on my Mac! Just don't turn the resolution too high (1204x1024 for example).

I debate that heavily, ever since 10.1.4 and the 5.0.2 update the difference between 9 and X has been pretty hard to notice

applebesmart

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
Just ordered an ibook

Just ordered a 700mhz 12inch ibook...will load 640mb of ram on it. Can't wait to see how this bad boy performs. This is my first Apple purchase since my Power Computing Tower 200mhz. I have a 1ghz dell, but don't love it as much as my old Power.

I'll let all you guys know how my Ibook works.
If all goes well with the Ibook, I will be looking to get a new power mac when the new ddr bad boys come out.
Talk to you guys soon.

-----------------------------
Technology has made my life comlicated because now I have no excuses.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: iBook G3's

Originally posted by arn
Per a MacSurfer.com link, MacUser.co.uk posted a report on the new iBook. From their sources, it appears G3's seem to be throttled at 700mhz presently:

However, Apple has been unable to procure G3 chips running at faster than 700MHz – despite the announcement of a 1GHz version from IBM last year, this product is yet to ship. Apple has also so far rejected calls to move the iBook – which is its last remaining G3-based product – to the G4 processor. Sources have indicated that this is in order to maintain a distinction between its consumer and professional portable lines...

They also mention that the iBook may need a redesign to incorporate a G4... but appears to be speculation on their part.

hey...i can't find that story...oh well

"they have to keep a distinction?"...that does not sound right...if they can get a g4 in the ibook, that thing will sell like hotcakes

the tibook has that amazing titanium shell and huge screen and all those connectivity options, so people looking for that type of intense technology won't be looking ibook anyway

for my purposes, ibook is plenty powerful enough and with half a gig of ram and with a g4 in the future, any home user would be quite happy

someone looking for more will buy the tibook, no matter how fast a g4 ibook gets...that 15+ inch screen on the tibook is totally unbeatable for a pro who has the money for one

...though i do know non graphics pros who use the tibook because they simply "wanted one" and that is really a good a reason as any to own one...i just can't currently justify it with my income and bills

if they put g5 in tibook or make it even thinner and lighter, i will take out a business loan...he he

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
I suspect there ARE 1GHz G3 PPC 750FX chips (as IBM has said), but that the yields are still too low to make them cost effective to use in the iBook. And because Apple doesn't use the G3 in anything else, cost is everything. I wonder if we might see an iBook SE 1GHz at MWNY...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by OSeXy!
I suspect there ARE 1GHz G3 PPC 750FX chips (as IBM has said), but that the yields are still too low to make them cost effective to use in the iBook. And because Apple doesn't use the G3 in anything else, cost is everything. I wonder if we might see an iBook SE 1GHz at MWNY...

that would be great:D

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: Just ordered an ibook

Originally posted by applebesmart
Just ordered a 700mhz 12inch ibook...will load 640mb of ram on it. Can't wait to see how this bad boy performs. This is my first Apple purchase since my Power Computing Tower 200mhz. I have a 1ghz dell, but don't love it as much as my old Power.

I'll let all you guys know how my Ibook works.
If all goes well with the Ibook, I will be looking to get a new power mac when the new ddr bad boys come out.
Talk to you guys soon.

-----------------------------
Technology has made my life comlicated because now I have no excuses.

Hey congrats!!! When you get it start a thread and let us know how it performs. I can't wait to see the difference that the extra 256k of cache makes. Let us know!

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina

That would be really great to see, but i very much doubt it. The might have the iBook running at, or close to, the speed of the powerbook, but not higher. Unless apple are going to announce three upgrades at a single macworld... (and when was the last time they did that?)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida

Na, not going to happen. Here is why, TiBooks just revised. The TiBooks will not play second fiddle to any iBook. It won't happen until SF. So, the iBooks that are there are there for about 6 months, and the same for the Ti's.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Originally posted by britboy

That would be really great to see, but i very much doubt it. The might have the iBook running at, or close to, the speed of the powerbook, but not higher. Unless apple are going to announce three upgrades at a single macworld... (and when was the last time they did that?)
I agree. Just wishful thinking on my part. The point is that I think Apple COULD do it, at a cost. But I don't think they'll crowd the TiBook's marketspace, either...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000

Na, not going to happen. Here is why, TiBooks just revised. The TiBooks will not play second fiddle to any iBook. It won't happen until SF. So, the iBooks that are there are there for about 6 months, and the same for the Ti's.

so is the tibook 667 mhz playing second fiddle to the ibook 700? ;-)

i don't care if apple has a 900/1000 mhz g3 ibook and 667/800 g4 tibook because the latter series has the titanium and thin body, more ports, altivec, and better lcd screen with that unbelievable 15.2" inch view

sony now has a 16" inch lcd laptop but the overall machine is still deficient to any tibook

now if every port and option, plus titanium exterior was put on the ibook and the ibook had a g4, then the tibook would have a challenge to its high end territory

the only time i felt that a consumer machine encroached on the pro line was when the cube, a pro-sumer machine came out, and it was almost as cool as the g4 tower as far as capability

with the unit being small and quiet and having more than adequate graphics, a am sure some professional mac users found this machine pro level enough for their commerce oriented uses...and bought the cube when they were about to buy a g4...my friend got a g4, then dual 500, then a cube, and prefers the cube of the three

too bad the cube went out of commission:(

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by jefhatfield

so is the tibook 667 mhz playing second fiddle to the ibook 700? ;-)

i don't care if apple has a 900/1000 mhz g3 ibook and 667/800 g4 tibook because the latter series has the titanium and thin body, more ports, altivec, and better lcd screen with that unbelievable 15.2" inch view

That's comparing the top-line iBook to the bottom-line Tibook. Not a fair comparison.

You may not care if the ibook runs at a faster clock speed than the powerbook, but i'm sure many other 'less knowledgable' people will, very much so. The powerbook needs to run at higher speeds than the ibook, if only for marketing purposes.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by britboy

That's comparing the top-line iBook to the bottom-line Tibook. Not a fair comparison.

You may not care if the ibook runs at a faster clock speed than the powerbook, but i'm sure many other 'less knowledgable' people will, very much so. The powerbook needs to run at higher speeds than the ibook, if only for marketing purposes.

Yep. If the average person who walked into CompUSA understood Apples Processors, and knew the Mac front and back they could understand the difference between a 1 GHZ G3 and an 800 MHZ G4. That is just not the case though. They have been brainwashed by Intel that MHZ is the God of computing. We all know that is not true, but they don't. And if they saw a 1 GHZ machine for 1499, and an 800 MHZ machine for 3000. They would flip. It would look bad for Apple in the grand scheme of things.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

They have been brainwashed by Intel that MHZ is the God of computing. We all know that is not true, but they don't. And if they saw a 1 GHZ machine for 1499, and an 800 MHZ machine for 3000. They would flip. It would look bad for Apple in the grand scheme of things.

I'd agree with that. Not only would it not be guaranteed that the store employees could even describe what the difference is, imagine trying to order one online or out of a catalog. You'd cause more confusion and lose a sale. They'll have to keep the iBook slower than the TiPB for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.