Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitaldrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Ibook G4 1.33 Startup Problem: Screen Changes Colors

Hello everybody.

Currently I'm trying to diagnose my girlfriends ibook problem. When I start the ibook, it goes from a black screen and then every primary color appears and then changes every few seconds from one color to the next..

From my research of what's currently transpiring, I tried a PRAM reset:

Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape)
Restart (Control-Command-Power)
Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds)

and,

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

This did not work.

If anyone could diagnose the problem or let me know if there are anymore steps I could take, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!!:eek:

lottie

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Color changes

Hey there,

My i-book (3 years and 3 months old) just started experiencing the exact same problem. It's freaking me out quite a bit. I would so appreciate any help/input on this!

Thanks.
Lottie

Wings3389

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
IBook G4: Startup: Screen changes color

Same problem here. This has happened before at least three times and has always corrected itself. I have no answers, because I don't think I did anything to fix it.

I'm open for suggestions too. Thanks!

astaire

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Solution for the Color Change Problem

Had the same prob with my Ibook G4 1,3, 14''... I played a little around and tried to make it boot from a USB-Flashdisk and then the above mentioned happend... I almost got a heardattack. I surfed all day and nothing seemed to work. I already thought my GPU is gone or even the LogicBoard Bug had struck me.

Here is what made it work again (don`t know which was the crucial move):

- Update PRAM: Press "Option+Command+R+P" while Booting. You will hear the starting tune again. I pressed so long I heard the tune four times!
- After that I removed the power wire and the battery and:
- pressed the Power Button for about 15 seconds
- pressed the Power Button together with Command and Option for 15 sec.
- pressed the Power Button together with Command and Control for 15 sec.
- pressed the Power Button together with Command, Option and Control for 15 sec.

After that I saw the starting screen again. But Mac OS itself was inverted and black and white. That seems to be some kind of inital setting. You can get the colors back by pressing: control-option and command (Apple key) and then type "8".

Hope this will work out for you. Cheers!

In German for Google:

Hilfe, wen das Ibook beim Booten nur wechselnde Farben auf dem Display (Bildschirm) anzeigt.
Option = Alt
Command = Apfel
Control = Ctrl.
Also Tasten "Apfel+Alt+R+P"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.