1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iBook G4 12" Airport Info not found

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Willaay, Jun 28, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Willaay

Hey all,
    I bought an iBook G4 from my friend for $10. It needed a new inverter board, reed switch, and battery. I've replaced them all successfully, and the computer works great!

Only problem is, the airport information can't be found. I know its in there because I've disconnected it, reconnected it, reseated it, and it worked before.

I can open system profiler, and when I click airport card, it says no information found.

I'm on the internet via an ethernet cable, and its a pain in the butt! Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should I go ahead and order a new card?

2. macrumors 68020

noodle654

I'm thinking that the card might be the problem. If it is a G4 it would have Airport Extreme. I would run AppleHardware Test, it tests the Airport card.

3. macrumors newbie

Willaay

I don't have any of the original CD's, and the CD drive is messed up.

4. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You may be able to download the drivers/software from support.apple.com

As for the physical aspect, are you sure you've got the card in all the way? On my G4 iBook it needed quite a good push to get it in straight and fully seated.

5. macrumors newbie

Willaay

Yeah its in. I ordered a new one, just to see. It was only $18. Thanks eBay.

6. macrumors 68000

4JNA

trying another card, espically for $18 is a really good idea. i fix/support lots of ibooks, and another thought is that the socket that the card snaps into is broken. it is a tall stand-off that is soldered on the logic board, and i've seen several that get enough use (plug/unplug/plug, etc) that they finally break a trace or two and the card is no longer seen or functional. no easy fix unless you can handle surface mount/solder trace repair. if that is the case, get a cheap usb wifi dongle and that would get you back to work for $20-30 depending on where you find one.

the other thing i would mention is that you can download the hardware test cd images from apple. with a messed up drive, you will need an external to burn the image to cd, and then boot the laptop from the cd (PPC note: it MUST be a firewire external drive to be bootable). link is HERE. best of luck.

7. macrumors newbie

Willaay

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes.