Ibook G4 12" batterylife

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by couchcommander, Apr 15, 2004.

1. couchcommander macrumors newbie

I got my 12" G4 Ibook 2 weeks ago, BT+WLAN +60GB, and I'm getting a max. of 4 hours of battery life...?!

In fact, if fully charged, I turn it on, open safari, and about 3 minutes later it's already down to 94%.
    again, 5 minutes later its down to approx. 85%.
    After running safari for 20 minutes all I have left in the best case is close to 70%.
    I installed the battery update a while ago, but instead of helping it made things even worse, the battery indicator on the task bar shows a very promising 4.56 when fully charged, but about two minutes later its down to 3.50 descending...

Also I have recently maxed out the ram to 1.1GB, (nice to have btw.) and I do know this drains the battery faster than the 256MB from the factory..

I have BT and Wlan switched off, the only USB device I am using is a Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse...

Any comments on that? Somehting just seems not right here...:(

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Not really,
    are you sure to have "treated" the battery like you should, when you got the ibook?
    That means, letting it drain to 0, and charging it again for about 3 times.

3. couchcommander thread starter macrumors newbie

I definetly have..
    This is really starting to p*** me off... The Manual says once you get your ibook, fully charge it , let the battery drain to zero and then recharge it...
    A buddy of mine told me I should have let the battery drain completely BEFORE even thinking about charging it..wtf?

I will call apple support today anyway..

4. Gherkin macrumors 6502

you said you are getting 4 hours? I don't have an iBook, but from doing research from possibly buying one, that seems right around what everybody else gets.

5. couchcommander thread starter macrumors newbie

4 hours actual runnign time would be great!
    The thing is, the battery icon indicates 4.56 hrs, after two minutes it's down to 3.56 and then after some minutes descending further down to about 2.xx after 20 minutes. All that running Safari AND NOTHING ELSE..

I just called apple support, there actually seems to be a problem with the battery, I was told to do a alt+apple+P+R hard/software reset or whatever she called it, then fully charge the battery, let it drain to zero and after charging it fully again, see what things look like.
    She said if this shouldn't solve the problem, I would have to do a hardware test, and after that, have the battery replaced...

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I actually get a little over 4 hours... but it all depends on what I do. I have to say though I have wlan turned on. The only thing that drains a bit more juice is iTunes. Other than that, I'd say you're not that bad off. Battery capacities can differ by 5% I'd think. So you're fine.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Just read your other post. You're right it shouldn't drain down so fast, even if it would only be the displayed time. That should go down somewhat consistent. Hope that fix from Apple works for you, if it does not at least they'll give you a replacement. So you're still fine I guess. :)

8. couchcommander thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess everythings fine now, I finally had it running 4.1 hours wlan off safari open, and I think 4 hours will do for me...
    I am getting a second battery anyway, so then I could still send the older one in to have it replaced..
    thanks guys,
    Phil

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i experience the same phenomenon with my new iBook ,but it is less noticeable because i am plugged in a lot (which doesn't help the battery, i know) but if apple is willing to replace the battery, i may as well. i'll just have to do some more specific research.

thanks!