Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm having a problem with upgrading a friend's laptop; I installed a MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8123 into a 12" 1.07gHz G4 ibook and we're having a problem; the cd-rom functions are working but it reads, then ejects dvds. The ibook was used and had Panther pre-installed; based on the condition of the interior when doing the install, I am assuming that it was a teaching unit, as there were loose screws and several random mismatched parts inside when I took it apart, so I am also assuming that this is a minimal install, probably set up by a student working with unix and OSX who probably left out the dvd drivers.

So here is the dilemma: I have a Tiger install DVD, but no Panther discs, and am trying to get the drive working and Tiger on the laptop. Any ideas where I can find a driver?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Hey - I can't help with the drivers, but how was it to change the drive??

My Superdrive in mine won't read CDs anymore, and i'd like to put something in it if i can find one for a good price. Then I read something about them being a pain to get into....

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Hey - I can't help with the drivers, but how was it to change the drive??

My Superdrive in mine won't read CDs anymore, and i'd like to put something in it if i can find one for a good price. Then I read something about them being a pain to get into....

I've done repairs and replacements on 12" G3 and G4 ibooks and 14" G4 ibooks. It's time consuming but pretty easy; all you need is a tech phillips screwdriver, a spuger (or kinfe or very thin flathead screwdriver), and a set of electrical screwdrivers (there are three screws on the bottom that have small hex screws). You can usually pick up all of the above for around $10 total. Also, ALWAYS use a static bracelet when working with any bare tech...

You can find photo guides online as well, just google "replace hard drive ibook" or something similar. It's a long, but not difficult, process.

And Mad Jew, thanks (as always)! I didn't even think of using Patchburn for a driver, I'll let you know how it turns out...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Thanks!!! I should have all those items laying around, maybe i'll hunt up a drive now. I hope to give it to my daughter in the next couple of months when i get a new one!

I hope your driver works for you :D

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
It didn't, but thanks. :)

Helpful tip: I always work on laptops with a sheet of cardboard and a sharpie (ala the old car mechanics trick) to keep track of phases and locations of screws. When reassembling, it's so much easier to have a drawn diagram with the screws sticking out where they need to go than to have them stacked or in jars...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.