iBook G4 12" Heat Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DJS1234, May 4, 2006.

1. DJS1234 macrumors regular

Hi all

Does anyone know what the average temp (I'm using iStat nano to measure cpu temp) of an iBook G4 1.33 12" 512mb with say a few apps running (Camino iTunes and iCal for example) not doing anything special just average stuff.

I only ask as mine is really hot! 45-50 degrees average is this normal?

Cheers everyone:)

2. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

If you ask me thats pretty cool. Right now my ibook 46ºc but gets as high as 67º when doing something cpu intensive.

3. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Sounds perfectly normal to me. My iBook's temps runs at about 45-50 on battery, 48-52 on AC power and 52-56 when I'm spanning it onto my 2005FPW.

Whenever it gets to 50 or higher just make sure nothing is covering up the vents. :)

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The Apple Specs for the iBook G4 show a little lower numbers for normal use (50-95°F/10-35°C). With two PB's, the fan comes on at around 139°F but usually only when I have some intensive work (FCP/encoding) running along with other opened apps.

5. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your responses, looks like all is well with my iBook, these little guys sure do run hot! I just thought for some reason (Obviously wrong) that the G4's were cool running chips (Not sure where I got that from, must be too much time spent reading rumour sites!:) )

Thanks for the responses again, moderators this thread I think is now ok to close as my original question has been answered perfectly!

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I've had an iBook g4 and now have a powerbook g4. Trust me, the 12" iBook is like fall whereas the powerbook is mid-spring.

(Reserving summer for MBP).

7. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the UK and its just cold here all the time (Spring, Summer, Fall - they all feel pretty much the same its just the amount of rain that changes:) )

so do you mean the iBook is hotter than the Powerbook or that the Powerbook is the hot one out of the two?

Cheers:)