ibook g4 12 inch 1.33 ghz new - sleep length?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by steelfist, Aug 27, 2005.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    just wanted to know: how long can the ibook sleep? 12 hours? i want to have the computer to sleep when not in use and just wake it up when i need to take notes, then put it back to sleep when i'm finished. kinda like the mobile phone in standby mode listening. however, i do not know the length. is it 1/2 of normal use consumption? 1/4? 1/10?
  2. ph0rce macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    i'v had mine on sleep for a whole night because i forgot to turn on the plug in the wall. so i would say longer than 12 hours. i had used mine for a long time that day already. also, when the battery goes flat if goes in to sleep mode, does sleep yse any power other than the light at the foront?
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Oh man. When I had my iBook G3 500Mhz, I decided to actually turn it on and use it. Then I just closed it when I was done thinking I would shut it off later. Well the next morning we went to Disney World in Florida for the week. Got back and the little guy was still sleeping away. Plugged it in and turned it on.

Don't want to try that with my new iBook, but I think sleep lasts a long time!
  4. polythene pam macrumors member

Jun 23, 2005
    Mine is also a new 12" ibook.

I actually read somewhere that you should only turn the computer off if you aren't going to be using it for a week! Otherwise you should always just put it to sleep (which I guess you can doo with it plugged in). But I left mine sleeping last night-unplugged- and 10 hours later it used up only 3% of the battery. So I'm assuming it can sleep for a loooooong time.
  5. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    As long as the computer has power it'll sleep. I'm not sure if it'd be such a good idea to leave it in sleep mode for a veryyyy long time.
    I've left my powerbook in sleep for a day or two but if I'm away from it any longer i just shut it down.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    3% / 10hrs is what I experienced too, at least when my battery was newer (haven't tried it recently). So anyways, when the battery was well-charged, I have left it sleeping and off the power line all weekend while I was out of town. There is also a reserve of power below 0% that will keep it sleeping for several hours, FWIW.
  7. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    I usually just put mine to sleep overnight as I'm too lazy to shut down. Only uses a few % of battery. No problemo.
  8. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2004
    When I was in Greece, I went several days without using it, and it just slept away in my luggage. I've never let it sleep longer than 3-5 days though.
  9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I went to England for Sping Break in March and left my iBook G3 500mhz at home sleeping. When I got back 9 days later, I realized I had left it sleeping and unplugged. When I opened it up, I was astonished that the battery was at 90%. So, it only dropped 10% in 9 days.
  10. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Yep mine is always in sleep. I wouldn't shut it down unless I am sure I am not going to use it for a few days -- probably 4 or more. It uses barely any battery.
  11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Just to be clear though...leaving at asleep and PLUGGED IN doesn't use any battery power, really, regardless of how long it's asleep. It's leaving it asleep for an extended time when it is running off of battery power that makes a difference....