ibook G4 16bit video card upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TheSeaduckG4, May 28, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

May 28, 2008
    If anyone out there has ever seen "Tailspin" you know what i am talking about when i call my ibook, The Seaduck. it is already as souped up as I can afford to with 1.2gb of ram.

in my system requirements I see it says

Displays:Color LCD:Depth: 32-bit Color

Is this the same thing as a video card?

I am trying to run CS3, and some things are extreemely jumpy. i am wondering if this is because of resolution or if I need a video card(CS3 requires a 16 bit video card), or maybe hard drive? (i have 30gb-9gb free).

i know the Seaduck can take a bigger hard drive, but i am not sure about video card.

Also, i have the 12" model ibook, and htis makes me feel like I am trying to write my nome on a grain of rice when I work in flash so i am wondering if I can hook my computer up to a better monitor, if you have any recomendations, and what the implications of that would be.

2. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    It's a chip on the logic board; you can't upgrade.
  3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Yep, isn't like the old Performas with the VRAM slot.

All one board you cannot upgrade these days.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 28, 2008
    well, ok. it only jumps when I use the most complicated of graphics, like a vectorized bitmap for a cursor, so I am guess I'll just work around it until I can aford a better machine...

but what about connecting a monitor to my laptop to get a bigger workspace? is there any that will connect through the firewire or usb port or something? preferably one that I can use on another computer when I upgrade so i don't have to purchase twice?
  5. jnc
    macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    As far as I know, external displays will only mirror on iBooks? You won't be able to get a better resolution than the iBook's screen.
  6. macrumors member

Mar 7, 2006
    No way just mirror! Use screen spanning doctor, to get all the functionality of a Powerbook. I have it with mine and its great! I put an 80gb fast Hd in + a nice dvd writer. My ibook also has Front Row. Apple do like you to pay for the extras but there are always workarounds!:D