ibook g4 1ghz how much faster than g3 800

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Squareball, May 8, 2004.

1. Squareball macrumors regular

I have a dillema.

My apple 1yr warranty is going to run out in a few months on my g3 800mhz iBook. It was bought in Sept. 2003. It has 640mb ram.
    Now I could purchase applecare but for just a little more I could just sell my current ibook and get a new g4 1ghz ibook. So in all I would maybe only take a $400 hit as opposed to like $250 for the extended warranty. I would love to upgrade too as this g3 is a little lack lustre at times when doing things in Photoshop (which is a big part of my job).

So how much faster is the new g4 ibook 1ghz with 768mb of ram compared to the g3 I have. I looked all around for benchmarks but didn't really come up with anything useful comparing the two.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

If the application is optimized to take advantage of alivec then it will be quite a bit faster on the new machine. The extra ram won't hurt either. However, on apps not optimized for altivec, I would imagine that it would be only slightly faster, due to simply the increase in clock speed of the processor. I beleive photoshop is optimized, but I hope someone else will back me up on this.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

photoshop is largely optimized for altivec, so a G4 makes a very big difference over a G3 there. The ibook G4s also have high clockspeeds, faster RAM, faster system bus (133 to 100) and better graphics cards. All of that adds up to a computer that will be noticeably faster on most tasks, and *way* faster on altivec-aware tasks like Photoshop. If the price difference between applecare and replacing your ibook with a new G4 is really going to work out to be only $150, I'd say definitely get the new ibook.

4. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.
    I went ahead and ordered it.

Applecare would be like what $250 and after all is said and done for this new ibook I will spend like $400... not bad.. I look forward to the faster computer! Right now runing illustrator is painful!

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The biggest improvement you'll see has to be the startup time. G3 is sooo damn slow.

6. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

Good god yes! When I get to my login screen, I login and then sit there staring at a blank desktop for THREE minutes :eek: (no lie! I timed it) before my dock shows up and things are ready to use!

7. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

There's something wrong with your HD I guess because on my 350 mhz imac that same task takes around 10-15 secs.
    Maybe your HD is too crowded or there's too much stuff in home folder...

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree that the G3 is slow at this function, but I always get the task done in less than 30 seconds. I too wonder if something isn't wrong. This upgrade may be well timed :D

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

My NEW G3 800 iBook takes about 1.5 minutes to boot up...and I've barely used it at all...

Even my P1 233 with 96MB RAM booted into '95 in only a minute. Talk about taking a step back :(

10. dbauer macrumors member

Ouch!

I can't believe that guy just compared Win 95 to OS X...

wow....

11. dragula53 macrumors regular

g3 vs g4

G4 is miles ahead, fo sure!

by a lot

12. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I meant to say that it takes for my iMac 10 secs from that user-account choosing, login screen to desktop, sorry I must have misunderstood it.
    Boot up takes around 100 secs, somewhat faster since I got new Maxtor HD.

As for iBook, this revision is really nice, except for one thing, there's only 32 MB of VRAM :(
    From what I understand 64 MB would make a lot difference... why couldn't they just put 32 MB more? bah..