ibook g4 1ghz ram upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by armandocerna, Feb 11, 2005.

1. armandocerna macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2004
    Chico, CA
    I am looking at upgrading my g4 ibook from 768 megs of ram to 1.25 gigs am I going to see any noticable difference in performance or should I just save my money. It's not really slow now but I think it would be cool if it launched stuff faster and ran better in general. Any input would be great. Thanks.

2. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    If your horse is winning races, why give it steroids?
  3. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Depends on what you run. If it's just basic stuff, check to see if you're even using all the RAM you have now. OS X is great with memory management, especially the more you use it, but this might be overkill. Maybe wait a bit, see how Tiger does, and by then hopefully RAM prices will have come down, even if just a few dollars.

But then again, if you can afford it, you will probably see a tiny difference.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It's not going to launch stuff faster - the launch time has little to do with RAM unless you are drastically under-RAMmed.

Remember, adding RAM doesn't speed your machine up, it removes barriers to speed. Once you have enough RAM, adding more won't make any difference until you open enough programs and data files to surpass the amount of RAM you originally had.

To "I need a car big enough for my family" the correct response is "How big is your family?" Same deal.