ibook g4 512mb upgrade issue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by themac2, Apr 13, 2005.

1. themac2 macrumors member

hey guys, I got a new ibook 2 days ago and i got the 256 built in and the 256 mb chip, well a friend gave me a free stick of 512mb I been trying to install it but for some reason I can't unlock the ibook keyboard first i use a lil flathead and poped the unlock key off by accident. I seems to have put it back on but i still can't unlokc it to install the new ram stick what should i do?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Woah! Insane! Put the screwdriver down and back away! :D

You do not need any tools to remove the keyboard. There are two tabs on the top -- I think these are what you mean by unlock keys. One beetween Escape and F1, and the other between F11 and F12. You *GENTLY* pull them towards the bottom of the keyboard (towards you), and then lift up at the top.

3. themac2 thread starter macrumors member

i know about then but i read the manuel and it said it they don't make it lift then the keyboard is locked and unlock it by using a flat head and turning the thing next to number lock

4. 65505201 macrumors newbie

That translucent slot is used to lock the keyboard. However, I believe that the iBooks ship with it unlocked by default.

Think of it this way. The keyboard is your car door, the two tabs on the keyboard are your door handles, and the thing by the num lock key is your door lock.