iBook G4 800 Mhz Logic Board Failure

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kennyb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. kennyb macrumors newbie

Recently, my son's iBook G4 failed. It simply would not start upon pressing the on button. I mean nothing. No response from the computer at all. The day before it was working fine, with no hint of a problem. The Apple Authorized repair shop determined it was a logic board failure, and Apple says this logic board is not covered under the recall program. We didn't get the AppleCare Extended Warranty :( Does this sound like a logic board failure? It's the second major problem since we bought the machine in Dec. '03 (first was a touch pad failure that Apple fixed under normal warranty) and the computer gets no more than 8 hours of use per week, and very gentle treatment. I'm loathe to buy a new logic board for 600-700 bucks and my Mac addiction is seriously waivering. When I called Apple, they said "sorry, you should have bought AppleCare." :mad:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties! :( It sounds like it could quite possibly be a logic board failure, but you should realize that not all logic board failures are related to the one that is part of the replacement program on iBook G3s. EVERY computer model from EVERY manufacturer, unfortunately, is suspect to some low rate of logic board failures. A logic board failure essentially just means that there's some electronic element on the board that has failed and is not serviceable. In some cases, it might just be a bad capacitor. But since that capacitor is soldered to the board, there is no practical way for them to service your computer, short of replacing the board.

I definitely wouldn't pay $700 to have it serviced. For that cost, you can buy a used iBook with similar specs to the one you have now. If you choose to go that route, have someone who is comfortable with computers help you to get data off the hard drive (this will be a little involved, unfortunately :() and then I think you can probably defray your cost somewhat by selling it (your defective iBook) for parts on eBay.

Again, I'm sorry you're having this difficulty! :(

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

also 700 is almost the price of a brandnew iBook on the Eduaction discount, just 200 more and you get a brand new 1.2Ghz G4 iBook

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had the iBook G3 Dual USB that was part of the recall back in the day. Fortunately, I had Applecare. I know, you may not want to hear this, but always get warranty on laptops. In my years, I've had 6 hard drive replacements, 3 logic (or mother) board replacements, etc. with various companies' laptops. Good luck.