ibook g4 800 mhz

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cabrini715, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

What can you do to enhance performance and speed to the 12'' ibook g4 800mhz 30 gb laptop.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I have the same model as you and I maxed out the RAM to 640 MB. I also run Disk Warrior, Disk First Aid, etc. once a month.

3. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

Yea I have 512 Mb with mine...so you think i should max out at 640? Is there anything to uprgrade mhz?

4. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

5. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

No upgrading of the G4 in the iBook..maybe some day...that would be cool..

If you are going to have to chuck a ram stick to max out the machine I would probably stick with the 512mb...tho perhaps you could sell the stick on ebay or something..

6. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

I actually don't have the computer yet...i found out that my girlfriend purchased one on ebay cuz her father was the high bidder. But is there much difference between the new 12 inch ibooks compared to the 800mhz 12 inch ones?

7. diamond geezer macrumors regular

New ones have faster processors and built-in Airport and Bluetooth. Older models required you to purchase the Airport card separately and the Bluetooth card was only available as a build-to-order option.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Get a new Powerbook.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Now powerbooks are a waste of money. also, they now come with 256 onboard where the 800 had 128 and could only support 640, the new ones at 1.2gb

10. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

the ibook comes with finalcutpro 4, built in airport extreme card, and a lot of those video and music edit programs...u think it will run well with only 30gb hd and 512mb?

11. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I run Final Cut Pro, MacroMedia suite, and various Adobe applications on the iBook in my sig. If I were really editing video on it all the time, it would get annoying--but it is bearable.

I suppose the question is, what do you want to be able to do with it? My iBook is primarily for web, mail, IM, and MS Office type stuff. As a grad student, it has been indispensable--especially with the airport extreme card allowing me to surf the web wirelessly in the library. Despite some who complain of "screen real estate" issues, or eye strain...I had no problem writing my entire thesis on the machine...but, not to brag, I have quite good vision!

So, if you want to do stuff like that, then you're fine with 800mHz and 512MB RAM...if you want to get into some photoshop or final cut or games...then you might find the iBook wanting.

Finally, the 30GB hard drive is a little puny...might wanna look at externals (or internals with enclosures...which is what I've done...might save you money depending on whether or not the seller has some deals workin')

12. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

Do u think i should upgrade then to maybe 40 or 60gb. I'm a current college student so it'll primarily be used to write papers and listen to music, that whole deal. Im also in a video production class so i'd use finalcut pro for editing.

13. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Well, my music collection (because I listen to a lot of live stuff like the Dead and Bob Dylan boots that are easily available for download) is far more than 60GB...So, if you're like me, 30GB won't do it.

If you factor out my music collection, I'm still using 30GB on the iBook. So, I definitely suggest an upgrade.

14. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If you already have put a 512MB stick in it, doesn't that make 640 total? This is a model with 128MB soldered on, right?

You could sell that iBook and probably get around $600? I'm sure you can do some reasearch on eBay and find out how much you can expect to get.

Then you can buy a new iBook with 50% faster CPU, 33% faster bus, faster memory and faster graphics card + wireless included (bluetooth is still optional). If you get $600 when you sell and are eligible for a student discount, you would need $300 to upgrade.

Actuallly it seems like you can get over $700 for it.

16. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

I'll just purchased an ibook g4 800mhz 30gb hd with 512 mb off ebay for $800. It already comes with finalcut pro 4, office, airport extreme already built in, ilife and tons of other music/video editing programs on it. I was just wondering how much it would be to upgrade the gb on it.

17. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

the new ibooks have 256 L2 cache. The original iBook G4 only had 128. This will be a fairly large factor when it comes to performance, but theres nothing you can do about it. Also i think i read ages ago that you can put 1gig of ram in, but it was never recommended because at the time it wasn't readily available. so you would end up with 1128mb of ram, but if you are gonna spend that much on ram you may as well sell the iBook and buy a newer one.

18. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The iBook G4/800 has 128mb soldered onboard, and can have max 1.125GB unofficially. Its not possible to have 512mb in it. Check your Apple System Profiler.

A faster 5400rpm/7200rpm drive will speed it up. Also bringing the computer up to 1152 MB ram will also help.

Don't spend too much on it. See what you can get for it used and save up for a new 1.2 GHz ibook (costs only $999)

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Well, I would choose a Powerbook over an iBook.

20. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You are going to want to upgrade to a 7200RPM hard drive. After you pay a tech to install it, that can cost up to $200. Search these forums, there has been a lot of talk about it.

For all that money, you'd be better off getting a new 12" iBook with a HD upgrade, bluetooth, and an extra 512MB RAM for about $1250. You'll get a much faster machine and a warranty.

lasuther