iBook G4 800 to 1.2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Disco, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Disco macrumors newbie

My iBook 12" G4 800 has been wonderful for me and I love it. But my dad recently said he would like a laptop for meetings and discoveries. He is a bigger Mac head than I so I said I would part with my love and find a new one. That new one is of course the new 12" and is on its way to meet me. So what I am wondering is, how much better am I going to find life with the new iBook.

RAM will move from 640 to 768,
    20 Gigs more space (60-80)
    and already had AirPort.

-Stu

2. RoadKill macrumors member

would love to know how you get on as I have the same machine as you and am thinking of giving it to my sister. She is at university and could do with a better machine than a thinkpad 300MHz with 0% battery life.

The only thing is the keyboard. The powerbook keyboard is sooo much better but not sure it's worth the premium.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

50% CPU :eek:
    Same GPU :confused:
    a bit better FSB
    AE :cool:
    Bigger HD ;)
    Get it with BT :)

You will feel new for the next 6-8 months.

4. brap macrumors 68000

It'll be faster in OS X. Ripping MP3/AAC/whatever will be faster. (A tiny bit) more memory. AmigoMac - The FSB is the same (133MHz) - it's only the amount of L2 cache that changes across generations, 256 to 512k.

No fundamental differences, though - you'll just not wait that couple of extra seconds for the G4 to do it's thing. Evolution, not revolution...

Personally, I can't say I prefer the Powerbook keyboard much at all. Maybe I'm weird; although when I first got the iBooks I had to put a bit of cardboard underneath the keyboard to stop it wobbling :p

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

You're right, I thought it came with 100 MHz FSB, anyway, the L2 cache + 50% CPu will give you a nice perspective... i agree it's not revolution just evolution+ ...

6. Disco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys,
    I personally love the keyboard on this computer. It is quiet, comfortable and my typing speed is wonderful on it (important for class). What kind of difference are games going to have. WC3 of course, but also I was thinking of getting SimCity 4, how would that run?

Also while I am here, anyone know a good technique or program where I can write formulae down quickly. Maybe word or apple works has it but I just don't know where to look. Remember "quickly"

-Stu